Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Weston's Plans

Weston loves to make elaborate plans for things.  For example . . . a few weeks ago Weston told me about an idea he had of something to do together as a family.  He wanted to turn off all the lights, light candles, have hot chocolate and tell stories.  I thought it sounded like a fun idea and I told him he could plan it for FHE.  Other things came up for FHE the past few weeks and I felt horrible every time Weston asked if we could do his idea and I told him no or not yet.  I just couldn't put him off any longer.  

So this Monday I told him we would do it.  Unfortunately Ian was working late (February is a notoriously busy time at his job.  I think he has worked late at least half of the Valentine's Days since he has had this job).  Earlier that day Talia and I made the sacrifice of picking up some donuts to go with our hot chocolate.  Then after dinner and baths we turned off (most of) the lights, lit a candle, drank hot chocolate and ate donuts while we took turns reading our favorite scripture out loud and/or telling our favorite scripture story.

It was really fun!  Weston went first and read his favorite scripture, 1 Nephi 3:7, "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."  He said it was his favorite because he likes Nephi and thinks it is cool that he built a ship.  And because it goes along with one of his favorite primary songs.

I shared my favorite Book of Mormon scripture with my kids, Mosiah 2:41, "And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God.  For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness.  O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." I love this scripture because it is so encouraging and happy.  It's also simple.  Live the commandments faithfully and be happy.  Now and forever.  Love it!

Davin wanted a turn too.  He picked a random scripture in 1st Nephi that talked about Nephi consulting with his brothers.  We talked about how he likes to play with his brothers and talk to them.  I thought it was pretty adorable that Weston helped him read it out.

Talia wanted a turn too but she can't read or even say most of the words so instead I just asked her questions about Jesus.  Weston and I each told a scripture story.  I had Weston close our FHE with his testimony.  He did such a great job.  He is a good kid with a strong spirit who loves the gospel.  I am so proud of all the good things he is doing and I hope that he continues to have so much enthusiasm for learning and living the teachings of our Savior.

6 comments:

Jules said...

I love this. I love that you have FHE's even with Ian gone (I can only imagine its extra hard when its only you) I also LOVE the scripture you posted. It is a great one.

Rick and I are trying to get back into our FHE's. We started again this week so hopefully we stay dilligent.

Shan said...

I love this! What a cute idea!

elizabeth said...

Weston is such a good boy w/ a such a good testimony! You have to keep remembering that as he grows and acts age appropriate. He's a mighty sprit in that 7 year old body!

Tara said...

Way to go! That is so cute. Weston is amazing. Cute lil family you got there!

Glen & Kat said...

Wow, what a great idea! I'm going to have to remember that one. What a great kid!

Emilee said...

Weston is such an awesome kid!