Thursday, May 29, 2008

Teeth!

Weston had his first visit to the dentist yesterday. I had kind of been putting off taking him in since he turned 2, but thanks to my sister's blog post about her kids' first visit, I was inspired to bite the bullet and see how Weston's teeth are doing. We made an appointment at a pediatric dentist the day after Weston saw his cousins' pics at the dentist. He was so excited to go too. The night after he had his bad dream I asked him what he was going to think about while he was falling asleep and he thought for a second, then said, "the dentist!" It was so cute.

The office was all nautical themed. Complete with a play boat in the waiting area. Weston had a blast playing in the boat and then when it was our turn to go back they had Nemo playing on the TV screens set into the ceiling. Weston loved that he got his own headphones to listen to the movie. He was not a huge fan of the polishing paste they use to clean your teeth and kept trying to spit it out, but he didn't cry or anything. He was great and sat very still for his x-rays.

The dentist was a little more brusque and a little less gentle than the hygienist and Weston kind of freaked out when the dentist sprayed air on his back molars, but he calmed down pretty quick. I was actually kind of surprised that the dentist wasn't more kid-friendly. He didn't explain anything he was doing to Weston, but I guess his time is more in demand. Just before we left Weston got a flouride varnish treatment. It tasted yucky and all the way home he sucked on his waterbottle and said "bleh bleh." He couldn't eat solid food for 6 hours after his appointment, so we ran a couple errands then picked up a frosty at Wendy's. By the time he woke up from his nap he could have real food again, but that was kind of a pain.

There were no major problems with his teeth. He had a start to a cavity on his back molar, but the dentist said not to worry about it and just brush his back teeth extra good. Weston was very excited about getting a new Eyeore toothbrush and getting to pick a toy out of the treasure chest when he was done. Overall I would say a pretty successful first dentist appointment.

Weston was having an off day as far as smiling for the camera goes, so here's the best we got:

Playing on the boat in the waiting room.
Laying in the "chair" (more like a bench) and watching Nemo with his personal headphones.
Davin was awake the whole time but was a real trooper and didn't fuss much at all.

6 comments:

brie said...

Oh my gosh. SO not looking forward to future Cade/dentist shenanigans. Glad you got through it!

Unknown said...

Wow, that seems like the coolest 'dentist' to take kids! More like a theme park! Too bad the dentist didn't have better bedside manner. You'd think a pediatric specialist would be more aware of the need to explain everything. Still, that seems like the coolest place to get your teeth done! How'd you find it?

joyous said...

Dang! Davin gave you better smiles than Weston!! How cute. I'm glad that everything went well. :) And no bad experiences....those treasure chests go a long way! You're a good mom for taking him to the dentist, way to go!

monique said...

Aw such a cute story about the dentist, I'm sure it's really overwhelming for kids so yay for Weston being a trooper!

The picture of Davin is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Tara said...

What? I have to take Makenzie to the dentist? Great.
Haha, I have definitely been putting that off. We don't really have dental insurance so it's kind of expensive AND nerve wracking so I'm not looking forward to it. But that dentist office looks really cool. I'm also surprised the actual dentist didn't work better with kids. Daniel is actually planning on doing pediatric dentistry and he doesn't really like kids... so it's kind of weird. But yeah, I'll have to get around to taking Kenz soon - thanks for the motivation!

The Curnow Family said...

I'm so proud of him! he cracks me up though! I can't believe how brave these kids are! Maybe I need to motivate myself to go to the dentist... yeeks!