Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Accentuate the Positive

First of all, Thank You, Thank You! for all your re-affirming, supportive comments. I, of course, am feeling better today. Ian bringing these home for me yesterday helped. :)
I then promptly left the kids in his charge and went to Young Womens. None of our girls showed up, so the 3 leaders just had a girls' night and went to the Draper temple open house sans responsibility. It was really beautiful and fun to see the temple. We toured and talked and talked some more. It was definitely what I needed last night. I came home to a nice quiet, tidy house, snuggled with Ian and watched the new Big Bang Theory. I slept well. Weston didn't wake me up, and after feeding Davin at 4am I got to sleep until 7:45!

Today has been much better too. Not overly productive, but enough. We didn't do much because I wanted Davin to get a good nap. He didn't go down until 12ish, but then slept until 2:30pm. Our afternoon outing was a trip to the library and a stop at the dollar store. I got some fun Easter decorations and a couple Easter basket stuffers while Weston wasn't looking. The boys came home with mylar balloons (their favorite).

Ian will be home for dinner tonight and none of us need to go anywhere. I am looking forward to a nice evening together. I am so glad to know that all us moms struggle sometimes (not just me!) and I feel lucky to have so much wonderful support. I am going to just take things one day at a time and try to remember why I am here.

8 comments:

joyous said...

Wow! Today sounds like a great day!! Your flowers are beautiful, Ian really is a sweetheart and you are a lucky girl. I can't believe Davin napped so good for you today. He really knew what you needed. ;) Big Bang Theory cracks me up too, but Jim refuses to watch it with me. (I think it might hit a little too close to home, wink, wink.) I love you lots.

jilljohnson said...

Sounds like today is going a lot better for you. I am so glad, I know you can make it. Take care and have a great relaxing even!

Cami said...

I think it's important to have a breakdown on a regular basis. :)

President Boyd K. Packer said, “Did you know that it’s normal and healthy to be depressed occasionally? Some of us have occasions more than others. As General Authorities, we face a long line of people who call upon us because they’re unhappy, they’re depressed. They’re worried about this and that, and they’re really not certain what they’re worried about. They’re a little like the old man who insisted, "You can’t tell me worrying doesn’t help. The things I worry about never happen."
If you happen to hit a good sorry mood once in awhile, relax and enjoy it. It’s a good sign that you’re normal. It’s alright to worry about things now and then, I suppose. But when you get worried about being worried, that’s when you’re getting a little off track. I really hesitate putting this in literature but here goes:
If you can smile when things go wrong and say it doesn’t matter,
If you can laugh off cares and woes, and troubles make you fatter,
If you can keep a cheerful face when all around are blue,
Then have your head examined, brother,
There’s something wrong with you.
For one thing I’ve arrived at—There’s no ands and buts
A guy that’s grinning all the time must be completely nuts.

That last poem part is lyrics from a song called, "Smile, Darn You, Smile") I can't find the reference to this Packer quote, but I'll look for it more if you want.

Shewi128 said...

Sometimes life gets you down.. Dealing with children and also facing the fact that you don't look as good as you used to (per your last blog) would be really hard. I haven't had kids yet and I already get down. Keep your head up and remember the things you do have that you are lucky to have. :)

Jared and Delia said...

Have a great evening. You deserve it. I think you are a wonderful mother!

Hilary said...

Some days (weeks) just get to you more than others . . . it's funny how some big things come up and it doesn't even phase you, then other times a bunch of little things happen and you think, "I can't do this anymore!" I'm glad everyone at your house is cooperating in giving you a much needed breather! :-)

Amanda said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful evening! It sounded to me like you definitely needed a girls' night out. Funny how those little blessings can come in many forms--such as YW not showing.

The other thought I had reading your last post today was that maybe having a hobby that gets you out of the house alone, (not just in another room during nap time), once or twice a month might help? Doing something along those lines helps me feel like I'm accomplishing something productive and useful.

Also, I just wanted to add my two cents on the sleeping issues. I read a while ago that when a person stays up beyond the point of tiredness, their body begins releasing cortisol into the brain. It's what keeps you awake. Thus, a build up of cortisol in the brain means that you don't sleep as well and you wake more during sleep. The solution is to make sure they're getting their naps and going to bed a little earlier than usual. It's totally counter-intuitive, but I've found it works with my kids.

JAB0218 said...

I love getting flowers. It was so great to hear of your experience as I had been feeling the same way as you. I still feel that way about cleaning. I am realising that I cant do it all especially as this new baby gets closer. Your a great firend and I'm glad to hear there was another mom feeling the way I was.