Tuesday, March 3, 2009

CA Trip- Aquarium of the Pacific

My mom took Thursday off work to play with us. We took a kind of slow morning and let Davin have a nap then we headed out for our aquarium trip. Weston was really excited to see all the fish. The aquarium was tons of fun and had plenty to keep us all entertained. We hit some bad traffic on our way down there, but it worked out because by the time we got there and ate some lunch all the bazillions of school field trip kids had cleared out and it was fairly empty. This was the first big wall tank when you first walked in. It seriously was so cool.
Outside they had these low, open areas where you could touch the rays and little sharks. I can't get over how they always feel SO slimy. Ick. Weston didn't go for sticking his entire arm in there, but later on in a different area with rays, the rays were coming up to the surface. He was happy to touch them then. He also spent some time with Grandma B touching the tide pool creatures like starfish, anemones, and urchins.
Also outside by the open ray pools was a play area with this fun boat and several big sea animals that squirted water when you pushed the buttons on them. This was probably Weston's favorite part of the aquarium. I was actually surprised we didn't have any major meltdowns when leaving here.
The boys and I were all pretty enthralled with the sea lions who were swimming all around this tunnel. They are so cute. We went to watch their feeding/training session too and they did some fun tricks.
Weston thought the rainbows from the water and sun were so cool. This is by the shark lagoon. See the huge shark right behind Weston? Wow. It was really a great aquarium.
We also got to see lots of jellies, seahorses, an underwater diver giving a tour of the coral reef exhibit, and this crazy fish called a weedy sea dragon. It was a really fun day. On our way out Grandma B got Weston a shark shirt and a toy whale. He loves them. We will definitely have to go check out the tiny aquarium near us in the near future. Thanks for the awesome outing Grandma B!

8 comments:

The Curnow Family said...

I absolutly love the Long Beach Aquarium! It's so fun and so much to see! I love the picture of you, Weston and Davin looking at the Sea Lions! I love that Weston had such a good time! You did a lot of fun things while you were there!

Tasha said...

So fun! I love the aquarium too. I haven't been in a long time. I should do it again with my boys. I am glad your Mom was able to take the day off and have so much funwith all of you. That top picture of your family is a great family photo!! You all look so good in it :)

Kim said...

What a fun trip! I love the picture of Weston in his disney ears.

jilljohnson said...

Looks like another fun day. What a great trip for you and your kids. So many great memories. I am glad that your mom was able to come with you.

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely welcome!! I had a blast and can't wait to go back and take the Grandpa Bob and the Henshaw's.

The Shaws said...

I have always wanted to go to the Aquarium. Looks like fun. P.S. Your comment about Weston and the Tinkerbell choice was too funny.

Kat and Steve said...

Looks like you guys had such a fun trip. That aquarium looks awesome, and I can tell Weston was thrilled to be there!

heather said...

shannon! it was awesome running into you while you here in california! what are the chances? (well, pretty big, i guess, if you're at golden spoon in brea)

ps. i LOVE the picture of weston conked out in the stroller at disneyland! priceless.