Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ideas

I am feeling almost back to normal. We didn't really leave the house yesterday though, so today will be the test of my energy levels. We are going to attempt the library and Walmart. Not major grocery shopping Walmart, just a few random things. I am bored still, so if anyone wants to hang out this week let me know.

We passed 90 degrees yesterday and I couldn't sleep last night because I was so hot. I am going to have to dig out the fans from the garage today and pump in the cooler night air tonight. I am so excited for the outdoor pool to open this weekend! We will for sure have to check it out. I couldn't resist posting this adorable picture I took of Davin yesterday. He just all of a sudden looks like such a big boy! Still not walking, but he's getting closer every day. It probably won't be long now.
As for the ideas that I am looking for. I got my produce box this morning. It was a good mix of things that we like and will use: lemons, apples, pears, lettuce, baby carrots, broccoli, and then this. I have no idea what to do with this bunch of raw beets. I have been scouring allrecipes.com, but so far haven't seen anything that looks remotely appetizing. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with beets? I can only remember ever eating canned beets on salad as a kid.
In other food news I actually ate solid food yesterday! I ate scrambled eggs, hash browns and toast. It tasted so good. I still have to eat softer food since it hurts to chew hard, but it is encouraging to be able to eat something other than yogurt and slim fast. I am slowly trying to get my house in order and start feeding my family again. Also, I forgot to mention it earlier, but Weston passed his Tot 1 swim class! That means when we do our end of summer sessions he will be in the next class up. I am so proud of him for sticking it out and doing so well, even if he was a little nervous about some of the skills. I am also letting go of any and all guilt that I had from making him get in the pool when he was crying.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Shan,
There really isn't a lot of choices with beets, you can boil, steam or bake them or make them into soup. They do make a yummy side dish just cut into large chunks and boiled. The tops have the most nutritional value and can be cooked as served just as you do spinich. Even if you didn't really like canned beets you should try them fresh thery really do taste better. The best part is because you are the Mom if you decide you don't like them then you don't have to eat them ever again.
love ya dad

Tasha said...

I am glad you are slowly recovering and yea that you got to even eat a little bit of solid food today!! As for the raw beet . . no idea. Sorry. But, I love this produce thing you are doing. So fun! Oh, and that picture of Davin - ADORABLE!!! He is seriously such a cute kid!!

Kate said...

I'm glad everything went well with your surgery and that you are recovering. I looked up the produce thing you do and it said it's not offered here. Too bad. It looks awesome!

Mom said...

When I grew up Grandma Snowball cooked beets all the time. She scrubbed them clean and sliced them then just boiled them 'til them were tender. Then we would eat them with butter and salt and pepper. I, of course, LOVED fresh cooked beets with lots of butter (again, of course) and salt. Yum, yum. Wish I was there to eat some with you. You should at least try them, since you have them there. Congrats on the eating AND I LOVE that picture of Davin. He is so adorable!!! I can't wait for the family reunion :-)

Tara said...

I'm glad you're feeling almost back to normal. I would love to hang out... I probably can't today though because I have an interview with Jet Blue this afternoon (yay!) and I've got some errands I need to take care of this morning... do you want to go to the aquarium tomorrow? Maybe around 10?
I would probably make some sort of pureed soup with those beets- would probably be good with butter/cream/onions or whatever else would go in it.
Davin really does look so cute in that picture, he is seriously getting big! And who did you do your swim lessons through? I don't know if it's too late, but I really want to do that for Kenz still.

The Curnow Family said...

You release that guilt, he won't ever remember and now he can almost swim.. so no reason for guilt. With Ideas with beets i have none... I still eat them from a can! ha

Unknown said...

I left my long beet comment on your other post, sorry. but I thought I would add that I usually slice them before sauteing. So tasty! Seriously, maybe it is the butter, but EVERYTHING tastes great this way!

jilljohnson said...

I am glad that you are feeling better. Keep looking on the internet for ideas I sure you will come up with something to do with thoes fresh beets.

Jared and Delia said...

Glad you can eat some real food!

I wish I had down time. Can you send some of your good boring karma my way? I feel like I am constantly running around like a crazy person.

I only like my beets pickled...kinda. So...I'm no help. You are so brave to take on new and different vegetables.

Katie said...

(This will make me sound very hill-billy) I'll tell you what to do with the beets. My mom had a rather large garden in our backyard. My brothers would find things they didn't like to eat, and string them up to the swing-set for BB gun shooting practice. voila. beet targets.

Monica said...

Oh my gosh Shannon...That is the cutest picture of Davin EVER!! He looks like a little boy...so old! Yeay for Weston the swimmer!! I'm glad you guys are going to finally be able to go in the outdoor pool...so fun! hmmm...beets? I have no idea...sorry!

Katie and Bryson said...

Mmmmmmm beets. I discovered these in college when I was probably lacking some nutrition so they always were a treat. Boiled with butter, salt, and vinegar is my fave. Yum. Although I haven't actually eaten them since college...
Also, you're awesome for being back on your feet from the wisdom teeth surgery. When I got mine out they put the anesthesia needle in wrong so I started to go under, came back and started to freak out, then went under again. That is not an experience I am anxious to ever repeat! Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Alexis said...

This is probably way too late for those beets, but next time you get beets...

I've been really wanting to try out this recipe:
http://eatingwell.com/recipes/search.php?id=3442

Roasted Beet Crostini. It looks yummy.