Sunday, May 3, 2009

Musical Thoughts

This weekend our ward held a talent show. I felt completely guilty a month ago that I hadn't signed our family up to do anything, so the last week the sign-up went around I put us down without any specifics as to what we would be doing. I mentioned to Ian that I had put our family on the sign-up. I was thinking we could sing something with Ian playing the guitar. We ended up choosing to do a duet of "Falling Slowly." This song won an Oscar a few years ago and is from the movie "Once."

For the last couple weeks we have been practicing. It has been so much fun to sing together with Weston running circles around us and attempting to sing along. I learned all the harmonies to sing back up. Ian was the star of the show. He was so excited to be getting his "guitar fingers" back. I love that my husband is so musically talented. He played his guitar and sang with me all the time when we were dating. It was one of the things that attracted me to him. Getting ready for this tiny ward talent show brought back some of that dating spark . . . if you know what I mean. ;)

So Friday night rolled around and we were ready to perform. When we were practicing right before we left Weston wanted to know what he could sing. I asked him what he wanted to sing and he replied "I am a Child of God." Well no arguing with that.

We were the last act of the evening. Weston got up on the stage and sang like a pro while I accompanied and Ian sang along with him. It was so adorable. I was so proud of him. When he was done Ian and I did our song and it went really well. I hit all my notes and we didn't mess up any words. We got lots of compliments on it. Most people were surprised that Ian sang.

I have always loved music. It has always been a part of my life. I have been singing for as long as I can remember. I took piano lessons for years. Several of those years I hated having to get up and practice at 6am before school, and I begged my mom to let me quit, but THANK YOU mom for saying no. I am so grateful that I nurtured my musical talents. I love having a piano in my house where I sit down several times a week and play and sing Primary songs with, or to, my kids. It brings the spirit to my home and to my heart.

I am so grateful that I can be of service with my talents. My ward doesn't have lots of piano players, so I get my share of opportunities to play. I also help out by singing in the ward choir. My next step is to volunteer for a special musical number.

I guess my point is that I am just so grateful for the gift of music in my life. I hope that I will always make it a constant in my home and in my life.

12 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

That is awesome. I am totally lacking in almost any musical talent so I appreciate it when others share their musical talents. That is so neat that Weston got up and sang in front of everyone too! How brave.

P.S. I love the movie Dan in Real Life! Sorry...I just caught up on the previous post.

Hilary said...

I have ZERO musical talent . . . so I'm always grateful for people like you and Ian who'll share yours for all of the rest of us to enjoy! I'm glad you guys had such a good time, especially getting ready for the talent show! :-)

Kate said...

What a wonderful gift you have to pass onto your children and serve your ward with. Glad your mom made you stick with it :)

Tara said...

Wow dating spark huh? haha
I know what you mean about having music in your home, something about it is really cool. I love it when the guys sit and play after hula practice and we all just talk or sing along and the kids run around, it's fun. My mom tried so hard to teach us piano (bought all the cool books and stickers and all that) and I just cried every time because I didn't want to learn and eventually she gave up. What a little brat I was! I wish I had learned too. But at least Justin was a better child than me and he can play. :)
I can't believe Weston sang in front of everyone with no problem! No fear! I bet you guys were so proud.

The Curnow Family said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love to sing and I haven't touched a piano since the very beginning of our marriage when we lived with his parents! I've been wanting one so bad, now that I finally have the room, that is definately a talent I don't want to lose! I too love that Brad plays the guitar (and tells everyone he can't sing, even though we sing songs on his guitar) it's something that made me fall for him too....Miss Sparky!!! ha

Kat and Steve said...

Wow, you guys! I had NO idea! Props to you for being so brave. I'm glad it went well. Wish you had a video to show us.

joyous said...

Wohoo!! I'm way impressed. Maybe you guys can do an encore at the family reunion!! You've also got to get Weston on video doing I am a Child of God, too cute! Sounds like a fun night. :)

Liz Smith said...

that's awesome! im sure you sounded great! im jealous you can play the piano, i always wish i would have learned. i guess it's never too late, but it's so much harder once youre an adult. glad it all went well. :)

Unknown said...

you know what? i would totally love to hear that performance! ya'll should have a musical fhe, record it, and post on your blog!

Tasha said...

How totally cool that you sang in your talent show. Love it! I too am glad my Mom made me stick with piano lessons. I will be "forcing" my kids too. Dito to the end of your post.

sara said...

Go you guys!!! I'm way impressed you signed your family up and sang in front of everyone. I've always loved your voice!

Glen & Kat said...

Good for you!