Thursday, May 14, 2009

Impending Pain

In less than 24 hours I will be getting my wisdom teeth out. Probably most of you have already had yours out and are thinking I'm such a big baby, but I am nervous. I have never been under general anesthesia before. I am mostly nervous about a non-hospital, non-nurse giving me an IV. I tend to not do so well with needles.

I am lucky that so many of my friends are helping me out since Ian can't take tomorrow off work. I have Cindy driving me to and from my appointment. She is the lucky one since she will more than likely be privy to all my deepest darkest secrets as I babble post-anesthesia. Becca is my lifesaver and is going to spend the entire day at my house watching my kids. Finally, my friend, Danielle, will be taking Weston to his last swimming lesson. Hopefully she won't have to deal with any fits.

Things I am looking forward to:
-not having to change diapers this weekend
-drug-induced sleep
-potential weight loss from not being able to eat anything solid
-ice cream (probably preventing any weight loss)
-catching up on all my shows
-snuggle time with my kids
-reading time
-naps, naps, naps

In other Shannon news, I have come down with a cold. Blah. I figure I am going to be down for the weekend anyway, why not add one more ailment to the mix. Also, we signed up for a fresh grocery home delivery service about a month ago. We get an organic produce box every other week. Last week I received this:
Last night I finally got around to turning it into this: Baked Fennel with Parmesan.
It was delicious. Ian loved it. Now I have a go-to recipe if we get fennel in our box again. If you are interested in getting an organic produce box too, check it out HERE. If you do sign up, mention my name and phone number as a referral!

16 comments:

Emilee said...

Good luck with the wisdom teeth thing. Mine haven't even grown in yet. I'm a big baby about needles too. And I've always expected but never lost a bit of weight after any surgeries. I couldn't eat for almost a week after my thyroid surgery and I gained weight. Go figure. I'm glad you have so many people to help you out while you're down.

Delia said...

That is so cool.

Yum...You are such a great cook.

Good luck with the wisdom teeth extraction. I don't think you are a wimp at all. I had a hard time with it too.

JAB0218 said...

Godd Luck Shannon. It is a pain, but you will do fine. I will be thinking of you

Cami said...

I had two wisdom teeth out under local anesthesia, and it wasn't fun at all! My one experience with general anesthesia was pretty amusing though. I didn't remember a thing; in fact I thought they were just about to start the procedure when in fact they were already finished. I was really loopy for the rest of the day and my husband said I moved and talked really slowly, but I thought I was being normal! My one piece of advice is to embrace the goofiness of chipmunk cheeks. You're going to swell up, so you might as well enjoy it!

Jackie H said...

Good luck with that. It sucks. Literally. And the gaping holes you'll have in your mouth for a few months are awesome. It's always fun to see what you can pack into them by the end of the day.

General anesthesia is cool (I've done it like 20 times now). Just savor the feeling when it knocks you out. There's nothing in the world that matters :) And the best part is, as you mentioned, the break from mom-duty. Good luck!

Glen & Kat said...

wow, that looks yummy! Props for knowing what to do with that :) And good luck tomorrow.

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

"Be brave, Little Piglet!"

Jessica said...

I had my wisdom teeth out with general anesthesia and it was soooo much better than just local. You'll be fine. It will literally be over before you know it!

jilljohnson said...

Good luck tomorrow. It should not be a bad as you are thinking. Milk it out though and get as much done for you as you can!!!

Amy said...

We've been wanting to do Winder dairy FOREVER!!! And I think we are going to start in the near future! Yay!

Good luck with your surgery! If it makes you feel any better, I've probably been under anestetic (sp) at least 15 times! Amazing how you just get used to it! But it's always scary your first time! We'll say prayers for ya!

Kate said...

I felt sick for like a week afterward and my husband went dancing that very night! Good luck to you- it'll be fine either way :) Or somewhere in between.

Tasha said...

Oh good luck!! I would be nervous too! I am glad you have so many people helping you. And that dinner looks delicious!

Tara said...

Hope everything goes ok! The general anesthesia isn't too bad. And eating ice cream with a justified reason is always good. :)

Liz Smith said...

ive only had one of my wisdom teeth out and i was so freaked out about getting laughing gas....the idea of the gas was more scary than the actual tooth pulling! :P luckily, my dentist told me he would just give me novicane and that i should be okay and that if it hurt too much he would give me the gas. I was good to go, i didnt feel a thing. afterwards was another story though...vicodin was my best friend. and at least for me, it continued to hurt until after i got the stitches out. everyone is different i suppose. enjoy being taken care of for a change...that part is fun! :)

sara said...

Good luck with the re-cooping from your wisdom teeth being pulled. No fun. But fun that you can zonk out all weekend and relax! That dish you made looks yuuuuummy!

The Curnow Family said...

That's a cool service! I wish I had time to cook things! So I haven't gotten my wisdom teeth out either...I'm thinking in the next couple weeks... you'll have to get me brave because I'm scared too! ha