Saturday, July 18, 2009

I Love to See the Temple

On Thursday we had the opportunity to go tour the new Oquirrh Mountain Temple during the open house. We didn't ever end up making it to the Draper Temple open house, so I was determined to go see this one. Weston was so excited to get to go to the temple. He kept saying "I've never been to the temple before." While I was helping him get dressed in his church clothes before we left I told him that the temple is a special place. I asked him if he knew why. He answered "because the Holy Spirit is there." I was so impressed. That's exactly right. I also told him it was the Lord's house. Weston then said, "Well, the church is Jesus' house." We'll work out the details of it all when he's a little older. :)

We went and picked up Ian at work, ate lunch in the car on the way to the temple, and got there with a few minutes to spare before our "reservation." We got to park nice and close to the entrance. They had giant air conditioned tents set up for watching the video about why we have temples. Weston was very attentive. Davin, not so much. Then we did the tour. It was a "silent" tour. Instead of a tour guide there were signs in each room saying what that room was for. We ended up leaving the stroller and carrying Davin for most of it. The inside was really gorgeous. I especially loved the angular chandeliers. The celestial room was amazing too.

Weston's favorite part was the "pool" and the sealing room "where Mommy and Daddy got married." While we were sitting in the sealing room I asked Weston if he was going to marry his wife there. He said "maybe." I told him that I hoped he would. Hopefully he will understand what it means to be sealed for time and all eternity in the temple as he grows up, and will have a strong desire for those blessings.

Our little family in front of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.
After the tour, we had the requisite cookies and water in the reception area. Weston was a big fan of the cookies. He thought that was pretty cool. They also had a player piano (that plays on it's own) playing Primary songs. Weston was impressed by that as well. I am so glad that we were able to go and feel the spirit of the temple as a family. What a special experience.

8 comments:

Plewe Fam said...

What a unique experience to be able to have with our kids when they're so young. We haven't made it up there quite yet, but hopefully amid all this baby schedule we'll make it because I really want to have that experience for our boys as well. Weston is such a sweet little boy - so smart too! It was great to read about your experience.

Tasha said...

So neat! We were really talking about driving up to do that temple open house after Carly's baby blessing because we really want to take Tanner to an open house. I am glad you got to do it. I love how Weston really was in to it and asking questions and learning.

Hilary said...

When you ask Annie about it, she'll tell you the best part is the 'chandeliers and the cookies!' :-)

joyous said...

Awesome! What a great outing. Weston will come to understand, he is such a sweet boy. (And Davin will too someday!)

Mom said...

I'm so glad that you got to take your little family to see the temple. That is such a wonderful experience to take children to see the inside of a temple. I know Weston will marry his wife there when he understands all. He is such a sweet boy. Davin too. I can't wait to see them next week!!

Liz Smith said...

wow, it looks gorgeous! Temples are absolutely amazing. i cant believe in just the 3 years since we've left utah how much it has changed. im excited to do some sessions in those new temples the next time we're in the area.

Lynsey said...

What a fun little outing for the family! You are such a good little mommy!!

Jared and Delia said...

It really seems like Weston soaked this experience up. We went today and it seemed like a lot of it went over Owen's head. This usually inquisitive boy was not so inquisitive this time.

Your binky story is really cute and very quick witted of Weston.

Glad you guys had such a great experience.