Saturday, July 11, 2009

Independence Day

We've never spent 4th of July with Ian's family since we have been married. It was so much fun to take part in their traditions. The day was pretty relaxed since we were all exhausted from the day before's wedding fun. I got up with the kids, but then went back to bed for another hour and a half when Ian got up and I didn't really get showered and going until 11ish. Ian helped take all the wedding presents over to Aly and Ryan's apartment. He and Eli were excited to drive their dad's bug on that errand.
There were still quite a few people in town from the wedding, so Weston got to spend a little more time with his great grandparents. Grandpa Squire does lots of fun tricks with his handkerchief. Here's Weston wearing the ears.
Weston also loved holding his new cousin, Ivy. He is pretty good with babies. He "waited in line" at the wedding reception to hold her and then got another turn on 4th of July.
That afternoon Jim grilled a ton of salmon. The whole spread was delicious. After the bbq we headed out to Cascade Locks, a little town on the Colombia River. Their fireworks show was really good. It was fun to play there beforehand too. The park is a long strip along the river and absolutely beautiful. Here's Davin with Aunt Teri and Uncle Mike checking out the river.
Right at the entrance to the park there is a little hamburger stand that serves these giant (and I mean HUGE) ice cream cones. Once we staked out our spot a bunch of us walked back up to the entrance for a legendary cone. I got mine in a waffle cone so it wouldn't drip as much. We got Weston a kids cone and he still didn't finish it. The medium cone was probably 7 or 8 inches high of ice cream. Here's Weston and I working on our ice cream back at our spot.
Davin was just starting to get really tired when the fireworks started, but he was riveted and just snuggled up with me for the whole show. Weston told me that his favorite part was the noises, so no fear there. It was another late night, but well worth it. Happy Birthday America!

9 comments:

Shewi128 said...

Isn't the Northwest nuts on the 4th of July? I can't believe the fireworks people let off in their streets. Maybe it's just because I'm from CA..

joyous said...

What fun! Especially the part where you got to go back to bed. :) I LOVE it when that happens! So glad you enjoyed your 4th of July.

Jared and Delia said...

Those ice cream cones do sound huge. Glad you had a good time.

Jessica said...

Sounds like you had fun!

Unknown said...

oh, man, that ice cream sounds AWESOME!!! 7-8 inches? How did they DO that?

Tasha said...

Yea for a good 4th! Glad you had fun with Ian's family!!

Glen & Kat said...

Sounds like you had a great trip and mmm, that ice cream looks yummy. Was it Tilamook?

Kim said...

What a fun trip! Weston is such a cutie I bet he was the life of the party :)

Liz Smith said...

those ice cream cones look awesome and that salmon sounds so good. :) i love the 4th of july!