Saturday, August 15, 2009

Reviews

MOVIE
Last night Ian took me on a date. It was lots of fun. We had dinner at Cafe Rio, where there was a nice long line, so we got to talk a lot. Then we went and saw Julie & Julia. I loved this movie. It was so down to earth. I identified with it. I love Amy Adams and thought she did a fabulous job. The way Julia Child was portrayed was very sweet. She and her husband appeared to have a very supportive and loving relationship. I need to go look up some actual footage of the real Julia Child just to compare Meryl Streep's performance, but whether it's spot on or not, I fell in love with her. I left the movie realizing that I have never eaten, much less cooked, French food. I should. I also felt inspired, like I could actually do something hard, like cook an entire cookbook in a year. Not that I intend to set that particular goal because of this movie, but it was inspiring nonetheless. Go see it. Now.

BOOK
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I read The Book Thief. It was really amazing. From the very beginning I was sucked into this book with the rich imagery. It really paints pictures for you. Not all of them pleasant. This book follows the story of a pre-teen girl in Nazi Germany. The book is narrated by Death. I found this to be a really fascinating take on World War II. I was riveted by the story and also the way it was told. I generally really enjoy WWII stories anyway, but seriously this book was well written. It used lots of color images and unconventional metaphors. Very interesting and engrossing read. I certainly recommend it.

16 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so glad Julie and Julia was a good movie. I really want to go see it. Maybe we'll go tonight if I get my R.S. lesson done. Julia Childs really was an amazing woman and had a wonderful relationship with her husband. She was kind a nut too, but very lovable. Where did you find The Book Thief? At the library? I hope to talk to you this weekend. Love ya!!

Liz Smith said...

i totally want to see that movie. thanks for the heads up on the book. im always looking for new stuff to read. :)

Carly said...

I'm so glad you liked Book thieif! I really liked it too. I was way hesitant to recommend it on my blog because of language... which was a little heavy for my taste... but I still loved it. I can't put it down when I read it!

Shan said...

Everyone I've talked to has loved Julie and Julia. I hope it comes to Taiwan. And I'm always looking for new books to read. Thanks!

Tasha said...

Yea for reviews!!! I am hoping to read Julie to Julia soon and then see the Movie. I won the book at pictionary last month and have yet to read it. I am excited you loved the movie. I hope I like both the book and movie! I am I always like hearing when someone likes a good book. :)

Sharlyn said...

I already have Julie and Julia on our netflix for when it comes out on video. I'm glad you liked it so much!

Jared and Delia said...

I wanted to see Julie&Julia the first time I saw the preview! I am so glad it is as good as it looks. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the review.

Emilee said...

I liked that book a lot, too. I'm glad to hear the movie was good. I'll have to see it when it comes out on video.

Jimbogun said...

Yay for a fun date night!!! I'm glad you liked the movie. It's on my list. I also really enjoyed the book thief when I read it a few months ago. I didn't know the premise of the book at all, so I was a little shocked in the beginning, but fell right into it. Good for you for finishing the book too. I know you were having a hard time fitting in reading time.

joyous said...

Opps, that was me on Jim's account.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the recommendations! That's a movie I'd like to see, so I'm glad to hear it was good. And, the book has been on my "To Read" list for over a year now. I'm looking forward to reading it even more now!

sara said...

ohhh, I really want to see Julie & Julia but with a 6month old that's not looking like it will happen anytime soon so I look forward to Netflix for that one. Thanks for the review! I'll have to read the Book Thief...you should read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. SO GOOD. :)

Kat and Steve said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I just finished The Book Thief last week and LOVED it!

Kim said...

fun date. I read the book thief and LOVED IT!!! I'm reading another book of his right now too I am the messenger, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kate said...

Ooooo- I love getting recommendations! Thanks! I need to start reading something.

The Curnow Family said...

I totally want to go to the movies the last time I went was with the girls and the time before that... can't say I remember! ha Sounds cute and I want to go see it now!