After picking up the kids from my Aunt Amy's house we decided that instead of doing another night in Vegas we were going to drive the rest of the way down to my parent's house in California. As soon as I explained that to Weston he started asking to go to Disneyland. Complete with "please, please, please, please." I diverted him by offering a beach outing instead. He seemed pacified. My sister, Jules, knew that we were coming, so she did her best to prep the house without letting Mom know anything was up. She did a great job because here is my mom's reaction when she answered the door to find her favorite grandsons on the doorstep.
We spent that evening visiting and playing with all of Grandma and Grandpa's fun toys. They got a train table since the last time we were there, so that was a big hit.
My parents both had to work on Friday, so we packed up the car and went down to Long Beach to pop in and visit all my grandparents on our way to the beach. First we stopped at Grandma Snowball's house. It was nice to see her and visit. The boys raided the Jelly Belly's and gummy bears, and Grandma was nice enough to loan us a couple beach towels since we had forgotten to grab some from the house.


Next we drove over to the Cal State Long Beach Institute, where Grandma Olson works. Sadly she wasn't there. Their house is only a few blocks away though so we drove over, but it was deserted. Luckily we got a chance to see them post-beach when the kids were pantless. We forgot to take a picture with them. Darn.
Finally it was beach time! We swung through In N Out and picked up lunch and then headed to Pooh's beach. A family friend (yes, her name is Pooh) lives right on the beach. I had called her in the morning and she was so sweet to let us eat at her house and use her bathroom. It was really fun to chat with her too. She has the greatest house right? (this past summer episodes of NCIS and Numbers were filmed at her place).

This was Davin's second time at the beach, but last time he was only 6 months old. He LOVED it. He wanted to chase the water the whole time. He stood on the shore throwing sand at the ocean and exclaiming at the seagulls. He particularly enjoyed destroying brother's sand castles, so Daddy made him some of his own to knock over (see video).






The weather was just gorgeous. Sunny and fairly warm for November. We eventually put on our jackets (only because of the ocean wind), but it was a far cry from the snow in Utah and we loved it. We had the beach completely to ourselves too.
Dad made the most amazing salmon for dinner when we got back. When the kids were in bed we went with my mom to Happy Feet for our 60 minute $25 massage. Ahhh Happy Feet.
Stay tuned for our fun-filled Saturday!
14 comments:
Such an awesome surprise for your Mom & Dad! I love that you got it on video! The boys look like they loved the beach so lucky it was nice and warm down there!
Those are such cute videos! I love pooh's beach. I love the video of the suprise...I cried the first time I watched it! Glad it was a fun trip and you got to hit the grandparents, that's always nice.
What a fun impromptu trip! That video was so cute! I'm not a crying person, but I would have shed a tear if I were. My parents hadn't seen my kids since October 23rd because of vacations and swine flu. We saw them today and my mom cried. Can't imagine if it had been months...
This post is awesome. You guys are so COOL!! An impromptu trip to CA, way to be spontaneous! I love that video of your mom, how priceless is that. And GEEZ you've got some good connections in Cali. :) That house is awesome.
WOW! What fun trips! You guys are awesome for surprising the grandparents. They must feel so lucky to have you guys as parents of their grandchildren. Those beach pictures have me aching to travel. :)
*sigh* oh, thank you for that little taste of california, i really needed that. I sooo miss the beach and In 'n Out! Im so glad you guys got to spend some time there. i heart california. :D
I seriously teared up at the video. I can only imagine the true surprise and joy for you Mom. Way to go Jules and getting the house prepped a little bit. Oh, so fun Shannon. I am glad you got to come down for a couple days. Too fun! Coming home is always fun. I think I need to see that surprise video one more time. Happy day for your parents!!
Hey, I remember going to the beach at Pooh's house one summer when I came to visit your family. Watching the video of your mom made me cry you can tell that she loves her grandsons soooo much.
I love that she was being onery about having to answer the door. Hee hee! Seriously, you guys know how to have a fun weekend. :) I LOVE the video of Davin knocking over the sand castles, he is too funny. Again, this is my favorite age. By the time they hit two and can talk, it starts to wear off a bit, but right now is the BEST!!!
Your mom's reaction was the BEST!!!! That is so fun that you were able to surprise her!
I love the message you wrote in the sand. :)
I'd love to be able to do that to my parents or in-laws! That's so fun of you. And I loved your mom's reaction.
How sweet of you to surprise your mom. The video was so cute! And those beach pictures are making this winter weather seem so awful. Hmm, maybe I should take a trip to the beach.
Your mom's reaction is priceless! What a fun thing to do!
Okay I thought I was homesick on the above post- then I saw the beach! AHHH! I need to go there. Guess I'll have to wait until Dec 30th. Love that you surprised everyone!
Post a Comment