Monday, November 16, 2009

Vegas!

Long long ago Ian and I went to a timeshare presentation. We did not buy a timeshare, but we were rewarded for our 2 hours on a Saturday with a free trip to Las Vegas. We scheduled it in November so it could be our anniversary trip (actual anniversary is 11/22). In the end we decided to take the kids with us since it's just too hard to find someone to watch them for 3 days in the middle of the week.

My Aunt Amy generously agreed to keep the boys overnight so Ian and I could spend one of the nights we were going to be in Vegas on our own to celebrate our anniversary. Wednesday morning we got up, packed the car, and headed down the road to Vegas. Weston was excited for his sleepover with his cousins and we were excited for our night without kids. We got to Vegas in the afternoon after only 1 stop! Go us. We dropped the kids and their stuff off at the Overson's. There were no tears when we left either.

Ian and I went and checked into our hotel. Let's just say it was at the ghetto end of the strip. We stayed at the Sahara. After dropping off our stuff and changing out of my sweats we drove down to the Mirage and parked there for our evening out. We wandered the strip a little before heading over to Ceasar's Palace to eat at the Planet Hollywood restaurant. We got a gift certificate with our "trip package." The food was only ok, but hey it only cost us $10, so no harm done. After dinner we walked down the strip to the Bellagio. I love seeing what fun display they have in the lobby. This time it was the Fall one and my favorite part were the full size dripping trees. Gorgeous.
On our way out of the Bellagio we were just in time to see the dancing water show. It was kind of fun to watch it from the back.

We walked across the street to the Paris and put our names in at the restaurant there, Mon Ami Gabi, to get some dessert. We got to eat out on the patio across the street from the Bellagio. It was really nice and had a great view. It was a fairly warm evening, so we sat and people watched and ordered our traditional anniversary creme brulee. It was delish. They also brought out a warm French baguette with butter and this weird carrot slaw. It was pretty spicy and was apparently to cleanse the palette. We also caught two more water shows. By 9pm we were exhausted and went back to the hotel to get some sleep.
In the morning we grabbed some (free) breakfast at the diner and went to pick up the kids. They were good as gold. I am so grateful to have such sweet kids who behave well for others. :) I am also so grateful to my Aunt Amy for being so willing to watch the boys for us!

Day 2 to be continued . . .

13 comments:

joyous said...

Nice! It looks like you guys had a great time in Vegas. So glad to see you got your creme brulee. :) Can't wait to see the rest of the trip!

Tasha said...

How fun!! I am glad you got to have a kid free night too. Sounds like a fun trip. :)

Liz Smith said...

aww i miss being close to vegas. It's the perfect weekend trip kind of a place. I love the Bellagio, it's by far my favorite hotel there...and i never get tired of the water fountain shows. Im glad you guys got to have a little getaway. Happy Early Anniversary!!!! Ours is the 27th. :)

Mom\ said...

Happy Anniversary!! Now hurry and get to day 2 :-)

Jackie H said...

I still owe you an entire day of babysitting. I would have taken your boys for a day or two! But we have swine flu, so you probably didn't want to ask...

You made me crave Creme Brulee...

Katie and Bryson said...

Oh, are you still in Vegas now? We're in SG, and it would sure be fun to do lunch or some hi hi on your way back through. Please call me if you have time!
p.s. I love the water show at the Bellagio! Looks like a fab anniversary trip :)

Shan said...

Sounds like so much fun! Can you believe I've never been to Vegas? I think I have to get myself there one of these days.

Alexis said...

We ate at Mon Ami Gabe the night we got engaged and for an anniversary. It is good stuff!

We are sorry we missed you! :( But happy you had a good time.

jenn (+ will) said...

what a fun trip!

thanks for the recipe! you always leave the best comments!!

Tara said...

whoa i had no idea! how fun! mmm that creme brulee, holy cow, i want one NOW. happy anniversary!

Lana said...

Happy ANniversary!

Glen & Kat said...

So fun! I'm glad it was a good trip, I can't wait to hear about the rest of it...so neat that you got to surprise your parents!

The Curnow Family said...

What a fun trip!! I want creme brulee so bad now, It looks so yummy!! I like the water show, now brad wants to go to vegas...(thanks guys!! :))