Friday, April 22, 2011

Wrapping it Up

We finished out our week of Spring break with a shopping day on Thursday. It started with lunch at Chick Fil A. The cow happened to be wandering around the restaurant before heading out to it's primary duty of waving at cars on the street. My boys love mascots, so they definitely wanted a hug and a picture. After we had our turn with the cow, Weston was following it around with his eyes. After a minute or two he said, "Mom, I think that maybe the cow is really a person standing up inside a costume." I replied that maybe he was right, but it made me a little sad. My baby is growing up and leaving a tiny bit of the magic of childhood behind.
After lunch we went to the mall so I could pick up some shirts for Ian and so we could check another Spring break outing off our list. The boys wanted to play at the dino playground. They had a ball, as usual. Davin spent almost the entire time sitting on this statue and telling me how it was a dragon and it was dirty, so then he pretended to clean it. He's so funny.
Ian and I went on a shopping date last night too. We grabbed some delicious In N Out then shopped at Target, Best Buy, Kohl's, and Aeropostale. It was a successful trip. Ian got some much needed new clothes, and some less needed, but no less fun phone accessories. I also bought Weston another new pair of jeans and cute matching tee shirts for the boys. It's always fun to spend time with my hubby and get to act a little less mature and like the mom. :)

This morning we were supposed to meet up with friends at the park, which was fitting since it's Earth Day! However, the weather was deceptively cold. It was sunny, but only about 45 degrees and breezy. Brrr. We did go to the park, but we didn't last too long. Other Earth Day activities included finally planting Weston's sunflower sprout outside in the front yard, and opening up the live butterfly garden I got for the kids. Our caterpillar larvae came in the mail today, and I decided Earth Day was just as good an excuse to give this to the boys as Easter, so we opened it up and watched our caterpillars all afternoon. Weston named the runt of our 5 larvae Tiny Tim. I think they will really enjoy watching them turn into butterflies!

Today the boys and I put together our pirate hats. There were instructions at the back of one of our library books and Weston asked if we could make them. The only paper I had that would be big enough was finger paint paper, so on Thursday I let the boys finger paint, then this morning we folded them up. They weren't quite as exciting and Weston had hoped, but I thought they turned out cute.
angry pirates . . . arrrr
cheery pirates . . . yo ho yo ho
Later this afternoon I made rainbow chip cupcakes for our Easter egg hunt tomorrow. We had to sample them, of course. Davin was a fan.
We sure enjoyed our fun week off school, but I have to admit that I am kind of ready to get the boys back in preschool. I haven't been able to read a single page all the way through in my book all week. Oh well. Maybe next week.

I hope everyone enjoys their Easter weekend.
Please take a few minutes (or more!) to ponder the reason we celebrate.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

It looks like it has been a fun week again. you are such a good Mom Shannon. You take your kids out to do so many fun things. I love that video at the end. I have been watching it all month since I found it while I was researching a spiritual moment for R.S. Will you send me the html code for the video. I keep trying to figure out how to get it off YouTube.

elizabeth said...

I sounds like you had a successful spring break! I hope your Easter egg hunt went well today. Quinn and Becky's wedding was great. Really missed you more today being the only Olson not here . . .sigh. We just dyed Easter eggs and now we're heading out the door for the luncheon. Have a WONDERFUL Easter and we'll try and call you too. Love you all!!

Liz Smith said...

hahahaha! the comment about the person inside the cow costume made me laugh. sounds like a fun week, although i'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate. we've had the same kind of thing out here. booo. one of these days spring will come back...hopefully. :P happy belated easter!