Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's a Date!

After our day at the beach our trip slowed down a little. We had more time to hang out and play Mario Kart, play in the yard, and visit with family. On Tuesday afternoon Weston and Davin got to go spend the night with Aunt Aly! Ian and I dropped them off at Aly's apartment and she took them to see Rio at the cheap theater, then fed them pizza and let them sleep in her living room. They had a great time. Thanks Aly!
All the cousins playing Mario Kart . . . aren't they cute?!?
While the boys were playing with their auntie, we left Talia with Grandma and Papa and went on a date! First stop was the nicklecade for some skee ball and air hockey. Next we drove into Portland and wandered the shops for a bit before our dinner reservation. We bought some paperbacks at the Portland Library book shop, and perused fun cards at a paper store. I love downtown Portland (when it's not raining). It's such a pretty city with so much character.

After shopping for awhile we went to dinner at a fun fondue place called Urban Fondue. It was delicious. It was a great date dinner because it took so long. There was plenty of time to talk. After dinner we decided to drive over to another part of the city and go to Powell's Books (can you tell I love bookstores?). Powell's is ginormous! We spent most of our time in the children's section, but we also checked out the puzzle books and the design section.
I really wanted to go to Voodoo Donuts. It's kind of a Portland "thing," but neither Ian nor I had ever been there. Plus, I love donuts. The main location was closed for renovation, so we went to the other location. It was 10pm and packed! The line was out the door. We also discovered that they are cash only when we got there, so we scraped together all our change and had enough to get a few donuts, so we waited in line and ended our evening with a yummy treat.
On Wednesday morning Aly dropped the boys off and life went back to normal. :) We decided to go mini golfing. We went to an actual golf course that had a beautiful little mini course out front. We were the only ones there so the boys got to roam around and putt their balls into whatever hole they wanted. This made it much more enjoyable for the adults. Plus Oregon is just gorgeous. Weston wants me to make sure that I include that fact that he fell and scraped his knee. I guess it was rather tragic.
Pre-knee scrape. All smiles.
Wednesday night Ian and I snuck out and saw Source Code at the cheap theater. It's a really cool, old theater with a balcony. I actually really liked the movie too. Shorter and happier than your typical thriller.

Thursday morning we all went fishing. We went to this same trout farm a couple years ago when Davin was a baby and the fish were biting like crazy. Weston caught 4 fish in about half an hour. This time though it was rather slow. We were there for almost an hour and a half and only caught 3 fish total. Davin got two and Weston got one. Poor Ivy didn't snag any, but she didn't seem too upset about it. Weston had one on the line right before we were going to leave, but just when Ian went to net it the fish flopped off. It was a little disappointing, but we all managed to leave happy since Weston enjoyed watching the fish getting cleaned. Davin looked grossed out the whole time. It was funny. Jim fried up the fish for dinner, along with some tilapia. Weston was the only one who ate the trout though. I am so impressed that he will eat it like that, especially because this time it was fried whole, head and all.

Friday morning Great Grandma Bowles and Emilee and Ivy headed home. The house felt so empty! We ran a couple errands, then came home for lunch. That afternoon we went to see Cars 2. It was fun. The boys loved it. I thought it was ok. Certainly not my favorite Pixar movie, however I thought it was worth the price of the movie just to see the Toy Story short at the beginning. Hilarious!

That night we played cards and gathered up our stuff. Saturday morning we packed up the car and hit the road. We stopped again in Boise for the night. We swam and grabbed some dinner, then came back and tried to sleep. Our room was right next to the basketball court and so it was loud. Finally at 10:30 Ian went and complained, but it was still a noisy night. On Sunday all I wanted was a good night's sleep in my own bed.
Thankfully we made it home without incident and I got that good night's sleep! I can't believe we have already been home for more than a week. Now back to our regularly scheduled life . . .

4 comments:

joyous said...

Sounds like a great trip!! You guys know how to have a good time. :) I love the floatie picture at the end too!!!

Liz Smith said...

those donuts look SO good! i LOVE donuts too! we have some family in portland but we've never gone out there to visit them and have always wanted to. i'm starting to think i need to get serious and actually plan something. looks like a fun place to visit. :) glad you guys had a great trip!

Tara said...

Those look like some awesome memories! I love Talia's eyes in that last picture of her!

J, J and B said...

I would never think that there would be a lot to do in Portland, but it looks like you guys found some fun activities! I agree, after a vacation... being home in your own bed can feel so good!