The Timpanogos Storytelling Festival is an annual tradition in Utah County. We have never attended, but had heard of it. Weston's elementary school participates by sending children from each grade level to the festival. They have a day for any kids who choose to share a prepared story with their grade, then they send one of those kids to the festival to audition to present at the actual event.
When I got the flyer about this I read through it and asked Weston if he wanted to participate. He kind of shrugged and ran off to play. I didn't push it. A few weeks later when we went to his parent-teacher conference, Mrs. Peterson asked if Weston was planning on participating. I told her he wasn't. She said she thought he would do really well and enjoy it. We decided we would talk to him about it again.
That was on a Thursday evening and the day for him to present to his class was the next Tuesday. That didn't leave him much time, but after explaining what he could do, he wanted to prepare a story. He practiced and practiced. I made him pictures to hold up with the story on the back since he really didn't have time to memorize it before the presentation. Then on Tuesday morning he got up in front of the first grade morning classes and told the story of Little Bunny's Sleepless Night by Carol Roth. He did an awesome job!
There were 5 or 6 other kids who told stories too. They all did really well. Some kids had their story memorized, some read from the book, some had pictures like Weston, and one told a personal story rather than a book by someone else. I don't know how many afternoon kids presented, and I haven't heard anything else about him moving on to the festival, but I'm really proud of him for putting in the effort and participating!
1 comment:
Yay! Jim fixed flash on the computer, so we got to hear Weston's story. He looks like such a big kid with his front teeth missing!! And he did a great job telling his story. Poor Talia though...I hope she is doing better and I really hope that Beckett doesn't get it either!!!
Post a Comment