Saturday, March 22, 2008

Last Days II




Well, as the proverbial astroid known as "baby bruder" prepares to completely rock his unsuspecting world, we decided to take Weston on a series of outings today to celebrate his few remaining hours as an only child. His status as outright favorite: child, son, little boy and grandson are automatically called into question and will never again go unchallenged (even if only for appearance sake). It will be quite an adjustment for all of us.

Just so you don't think that the officially unnamed BBB2 will be shunned, I should let you in on a little secret....I'm actually more excited than I was with Weston. There are several factors at play here:

A) Weston came early, and didn't give me the full time to build up my excitement before he came. He was just all of a sudden here in a very surreal way.

2) I had just started my full-time grown-up job and I'm not ashamed to admit I was a little stressed about the responsibility of providing for a family. I was still finding my footing and faking all those things that I hadn't fully been taught in school at Vérité, so part of me was pretty sure I was just a few screw-ups and missed deadlines away from being fired. Rest assured, I was in no real danger of this happening, I was just stressing myself out. On a side note, if any of my superiors at Vérité are reading this, and I WAS in danger of being fired back then, please don't ever tell me.

III) I know what to expect (well, sorta) with this one. I know how awesome it is to hold a baby that is only minutes, if not seconds, old – and to know that he is yours.

Anyway, lets review the events that have made up Weston's last Saturday as a singleton.

Shannon really wanted to go bowling. I think we decided that her belly actually acts as some sort of natural counterbalance, causing her to bowl better than when she is not with child. Weston had a great time. The outing only resulted in one crying moment when I pulled him away from the crazy-spinning-wheel-O-hand-disfigurement that is the ball retrieval system.

Weston did awesome with my 13 lbs ball..... ok well, his was 5, but hey thats still like 20% of his body weight.



The results are in. Shannon Won.

Afterwords, we played a few quick games of skee-ball. Weston prefers the somewhat ineffective overhand technique.


We arrived at home around lunch time where my mom and sister had just pulled in.
Grandma had a special treat for our little ball of energy: His very own honest-to-goodness super hero cape.


After a few laps around the house, we all went to lunch together at McDonalds. Weston had a blast on the play place and even went down the big slide a few times (until we told him it was time to go).


After a much needed nap he was good to go for the rest of the evening which involved fine dining in the kitchen (courtesy of Grandma) and Easter Egg coloring.




A pretty busy day for the little guy. I am sure we will give you all an Easter update tomorrow as well. If not It probably won't happen, unless Shannon feels like writing about it using the wireless at the hospital (doubtful).

1 comment:

joyous said...

You are so crazy to go bowling. I don't know how you do it with the belly!!! I'm glad you guys had such a fun day though. :) That is a pretty awesome superhero cape. I like the picture of him running away and doing laps around the house. Good luck tomorrow!! I'll be thinking happy labor thoughts and waiting with my phone ON. :)