
I started doing a Masters Swimming class at the fitness center this week. Can I just say it is AWESOME. I had really really missed the water. If you are unaware of my water history: I grew up in CA and used to swim all day long if my mom would let me and if we were somewhere that had a pool (like a friends house or the high school). Then in high school I decided I would try out swim team and it turns out I was actually decently fast, so that was a lot of fun, although I was never a huge fan of the competition factor.
Fast forward to college. . . I wasn't about to try to add competition swimming to my classload, social life and love of sleep, so I settled for the intermediate swimming class. That is where I met my friend Kathryn who was in our first married ward and we became really good friends. It was so fun to have a swimming buddy and she and her hubby, Glen, became our best friends. It was good times.
4 years and 2 kids later, I haven't swam with any consistency since that class with Kathryn. I'm not much of a self motivator. Since having Davin I'm attempting to look halfway decent/be more healthy, so I found out about this adults only class which is simply a swimming workout with other people and with a coach to tell you what to swim. It is so fun. There are 2 other girls there who are really fun and we swim together. The coach, Becky, is great too.
It feels amazing to be back in the water. You know how some people love running and get that high off it? Well I experience the same thing in the water.
Things I LOVE about masters swimming:
-I get to swim outside (since it's summer)
-You are weightless in the water
-It is an amazing workout. I am pretty sore after my first week.
-I get to wear a swim cap and goggles; that is a sexy look. :)
-I get to swim with other girls and we get to chat and motivate each other.
-I don't have to try to make up my own easy workouts, someone else tells me what to do and I can complain but I will still do it, thereby getting a much better workout.
-I lose all sense of time and can just zone out when I'm in my groove.
-We are all adults, so it's not like we get in trouble if we slack off and chat or take an extra 15 seconds rest.
-Speedos.
9 comments:
Your baby is three months and I have not seen him yet! I would love to see him sometime, let me know when is good for you. Let me tell you one more thing, I love the gym and going to classes. I wish that we had a swim class like that where I workout. We do have four great pools at the gym go to. Ellie and I went swimming EVERYDAY last week!
Wow, we must be online at the same time! My number is 706-0561 call me and we can set up a time!
Thanks for the recipe!!! I've been a terrible blogger lately - about reading blogs and writing on mine. I'm glad you're back in the water and having fun with some girl friends. I need to get in our community pool here because it's so hot ... you are my motivation!!! Thanks. :)
Wohoo!! Go, Shannon, go!! I'm glad you found something that you love doing and it fits with your schedule, etc. You're going to be one hot mama with the swim cap and goggles. I just got Lizzie a pair of goggles and she LOVES them too.
ahh... swimming sounds nice. We have a pool in our apartment complex, but I usually only end up swimming a few laps and then floating around instead of getting a good workout. Peer pressure and a instructor definitely would help.
Shannon, that is so awesome I can't even tell you! I didn't even know there was such a thing. I've been doing a water aerobics class, but I would love to get back to my swim workouts - they always got me in the best shape. An outside pool would be amazing too. You get tan and you're working out at the same time...priceless!
Go Shannon! I am totally impressed. You forgot to mention that you also get to do this by your self (meaning no children)!! I am glad you have found a fun class and get to swim again. And you are getting a great work out at the same time. This sounds like a win win situation all the way around! :)
that's so exciting!! I want to swim!
I'm so jealous! I don't think I've swam laps since I left Utah...ahh the good old days. Good for you for starting up you'll have to let me know how it goes.
Post a Comment