My friend, Delia, wrote a post earlier this week that really inspired me. She talked about how she was feeling down on herself because she had forgotten so much from college and wasn't really learning anything new. I totally identified with that. Being home with kids I almost feel like I'm backsliding, watching Sesame Street and Disney movies all the time, teaching on such a child-like level, etc. However, at the same time, I am learning profound lessons from my children about life and about myself. I am grateful for this new start. I am hoping more things on my list get done than not, but even if they don't, I don't mind because I'm sure this year will still bring me knowledge and growth I couldn't get from anywhere else except my own home and my own family.
On a completely different note, one of my "things to do in 2009" is to make a budget and be able to buy a new house this year. This means I will have to stop spending money on things I don't "need". I have a problem with the word "need" though. I think I am fundamentally incapable of really deciphering what I need and what I don't, especially if it's a good deal. For example. . . oh man, I really don't want to share this because it is so embarrassing, but here is my problem, I was at McDonald's with the kids on Monday and I ordered a McRib value meal. They had a promotion where you can get another McRib for $1. I ordered 2 McRib sandwiches simply because the second one was only a dollar. Later while I was eating, I looked at the tray and thought "Why on earth would I order 2 of these? I am such a mess. What was I thinking? I'm definitely not telling Ian I did this." Well now he knows. Anyway, I love to bargain hunt, so when I find something on clearance or a super awesome deal I just can't seem to pass it up, even if I don't remotely need it. So, if I am ever shopping with you, please stop me from buying something simply because it is cheap. Thank you.
I truly hope that everyone is having a good year so far. Not much time to screw things up yet, so enjoy the euphoria of a fresh start, I know I am!
9 comments:
I am so with you on that struggle to decipher between "need" and "want". I don't think a day goes by that my husband doesn't ask "um, is that (fill in the blank) a want or a need?" Darn those husbands and their dumb logic!
Shan, you must have got some of those traits from me your dear old dad. One time McDonalds had a really good deal on 2 Big Macs. I buy two and then as I,m eating them I'm thinking what am I doing, I never eat two Big Macs. It is funny that you shared this because just this morning on my way to work as I drove past McDonalds the were advertising a Big Mac special of two for $3.50 and I thought "good deal" then I remembered the last time I did that and had to laugh at myself. I am envious of the McRibs, they are my favorite thing from McDonalds and when we were visiting you I heard the ads that they were back so I thought cool I'll get one when I get home. We get home and guess what - the McRib is not being offered in CA. Oh well I shouldn't be eating them anyway. I love your optimisim for the New Year I have always disliked the New Years resolution thing because of the pressure I felt to try to do all of these things and then the sense of failure if I didn't achieve them. Your approach and attitude is better. Minus the cold my New Year is off to a great start. Love ya dad.
I could've written the same thing word for word for me and it couldn't have been truer! (Except I don't like McRib sandwiches) :-). Here we are in a new house, with a tighter budget, and I totally have blown many, many dollars on all the after Christmas clearance 'cause it's SO cheap! Stupid bargain hunting gene. Can be so handy, yet so destructive all at the same time!
wow, what a true and honest post! don't we ALL feel that way about cheap deals? I read a statistic somewhere that indicated there is a genetic trend to that. In spontaneous buying, Women tend to buy things they don't really need just because they are super cheap, while men tend to buy things that could actually be considered a 'need', but they spend oodles of money rather than waiting for the deals. They just see it and get it. Interesting, eh?
On a purposeful note, I read a book just before Christmas that is really reshaping the way I view my 'stuff'. It is called "It's All Too Much" and it is by the guy who does that show on TLC where he goes in and helps people organize their houses and get rid of clutter. I'm not even kidding, I had some epiphanies about my relationship with my 'stuff' that I hope will make a long term change in my purchasing and keeping trends. I HIGHLY recommend this book!!!
You are so funny. Dad too. I almost bought two BigMacs too, what is wrong with us?!?! The good news about three kids is that it's a LOT harder to shop, I think that has helped. But when I do, watch out! Anyway, good luck with your resolutions this year!
Go you on making a list and I love even more the freedom just making the list brings you. I never think it is bad to sit and think about the things I would like to improve on and do better.
As for your budget spending thing. It is SOO hard! I am a total deal person too. But, I am learning that I can't buy deals unless they really are something I need or I have someone to give them to for a birthday or something in the NEAR future. It has been helping me. Even with the boys and clothes. Just because they are a good deal doesn't mean I can buy them. ONLY if Tanner or Brayden REALLY need them. It is hard for me to walk away sometimes, but I have been making myself do it. (Since we got the second car finaces are tighter so it has been helping me to really decipher because the truth is I really just don't have the money. It has definatly been getting me to be better with money. Even better than I already was . . . and seriously I am a pretty frugal person naturally.) Don't worry about admitting the MCDonald's thing though . . . we have all done similar type things at different times.
I did not know that about you, I thought I was the only one with 7 bottles of clearance fabric softener... haha. I really like your approach to resolutions... we make goals and if we meet them, awesome, and if we don't, oh well! This is why you're my friend.
Here it is Jan. 9th and I haven't written my New Year's Resolutions yet. I need FHE to inspire me :-) I love January and New Year's Resolutions for the same reasons you do too. It's back to the routine and recommitting to doing more and better. . .ahh! Now, as far as that sale thing . . I have no idea where you get it. . .hmmmm, that's a head-scratcher to me. I'm trying to talk myself into not going to Farr's and buy anything I want in their going out of business sale. . .super sigh!! By the way, I just bought Weston's B-day present and had it shipped to your house. If you wouldn't mind wrapping it for me, I'd be eternally grateful :-)
Way to go Shannon on making a page of goals! I have a hard time writing them down, but I never get the urge until Septemberish when the season gets colder.... maybe its frombeing in School for like 20 years??? And I think thewhole good deals ismostly female... or at least I tell myself as I send Jon back to Dillards to return things!
Post a Comment