Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Boy Stuff

A quick update as to what we have been doing with our days this week/last weekend. This past Saturday we spent the evening having dinner and playing with our friends, the Miller's. They are just so much fun and it had been months since we had gotten together. They taught us how to play Ticket to Ride. We really enjoyed it. If you are looking for something to get us for whatever reason . . . that would be fun. I hardly saw Weston the whole time we were there because he was busy playing with all the new toys in the basement and watching movies. Weston was especially enthralled with this. I thought he looked so funny in it. It made his head look like it was half his body. If you are looking for something to get Weston . . . he would love it.
Monday brought the start of round two of swimming lessons. It was less successful. Weston had a new teacher and a new group of somewhat older kids. He got his head dunked a couple times and was just not having as much fun. About 10 minutes before the end of his class he started crying and said he needed to go potty. He didn't. When I asked what was wrong he just said he wanted to go home and take a nap. I put him back in the pool after trying to get him to calm down, but he pretty much cried the rest of class and tried to get out a few times. I was pretty frustrated. He had zero reactions like this in his first session of swimming lessons. I don't know if the teacher is less kid fun or if he is having to do more actual swimming skills or what. Needless he came home, ate lunch, and went straight down for a 2 hour nap.

Anyway, that afternoon I had told Weston that we could go and buy some paint for his wooden truck that he made back in October with Grandpa Bob. He has been asking to paint it for months. So we hit up Michael's and left with red, green, and blue paint. For our FHE activity Daddy helped Weston paint and I kept Davin out of it. Weston had a great time working on his truck. That tongue was out the entire time.
I will post finished product pictures when he is done painting the bottom and gets the wheels back on it. I also took this picture of Davin on Monday afternoon. He was just looking so cute and grown up. He is getting really close to walking. I give him a few more weeks. (Notice the tongue on Weston while he was playing a computer game).
Yesterday we went back to the aquarium and it was practically empty. We had a better time exploring everything and Weston said his favorite thing was watching "that big, red octopus." I was happy he thought the sea creature was cool. Afterward we went to Chick Fil A for a shake and some play time in the empty playplace. It was a nice afternoon.

Flash forward to this morning. I told Weston that if he didn't cry and stayed in the pool during his swimming lesson then I would take him to the Thanksgiving Point Farm Country this afternoon. He did much better. He still cried a little bit after the first head dunking, but he calmed himself down and didn't cry the rest of the lesson and stayed in the pool. I think he earned his outing. However, he is still sleeping. I put him down for a nap again right after lunch and he's out. I might have to go wake him up if we want to have time for an outing.

So there you have it. That is what we have been up to. Any advice for the swimming lesson issues?

10 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

Oh goodness. That tongue is so funny!

We had a similar experience with soccer. Owen loved it the first time. This time he had a completely different team, and I picked the earlier time thinking it would be better for Owen and it wasn't. He boycotted soccer the first two games. The first game, I was annoyed at his behavior because I didn't expect it. All he could talk about was soccer and then we got there and he acted like I brought him to the most awful place ever. He not only refused to participate, he whined the whole time. To his credit, his new coach was not as kid friendly as his first one was, there were no familiar faces at all from the referees to any teammates...no one (my fault for choosing a different time), and I think sixth months between seasons made it unfamiliar enough.
So...determined to make this a positive experience, I spent the whole game the second time with him on my lap. I talked about the game and tried my best to make it really exciting and funny. By the end he finally got up for the last couple of seconds to play. I also got him some cool shin guards that gave him more confidence. By the third game he was back to having a blast.

I hope Weston warms up to this new class. I know how it can feel as a parent. I wondered...should I let him quit this and teach him it is okay to give up so easily or am I pushing him too much.

Sorry for the novel!

joyous said...

Bummer about the swim lessons not working out quite as well. I say keep on with the bribes. Especially since there was improvement this time. He'll probably also do better as his skills and confidence increase.

Can't wait to see those cute boys next month!

And I LOVE the tongue...all that concentration!

Emilee said...

I took years of swimming lessons and was terrified the whole time. Still can't swim and still hate the water. I think it would be better to take him out than to turn swimming and pools into something that he dreads instead of something fun.

Tara said...

I really need to get going on the swimming lessons. I'm glad you did it first so I can get an idea of what to expect. I know Makenzie is not going to be keen about putting her head under water either. We have gotten her to plug her nose and put her face in a couple of times but it takes a lot of coercion. I'm sure you'll know how to help him b/c you're such a swimmer. I'd be like "it IS scary!" haha
Man you guys are so active! That's awesome. My kids get like one or 2 kid-focused outings a week. You are definitely a fun mom Shan!

Glen & Kat said...

Ticket to Ride is a fun game...we have it and you're welcome to come play at any time :) I love Weston's concentration. It sounds like you're great at creating good memories for your kids.

Monica said...

Love Weston's little tongue! so funny! Wow...Davin looks like a little man! he's getting so big! how old is he now? They grow up too fast! Good luck with the swim lessons ;-)

Kate said...

I agree- you are a fun mom!

Tasha said...

Wow, you have had another eventful week!! No advise for the swimming lessons. We haven't tackled that one yet. I am thinking of doing it this year. I don't know if it will happen though. I hope. I am glad the second day was a little better.

Miranda said...

Let the Mommy Wars rage...you will win!
Also--Ticket to Ride, BEST game ever.

heather said...

that helmet picture is SO cute! you totally need to get him one.