Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer Has Arrived!

Now that we are home from all our trips the summer weather has arrived and we are making the most of it. I am still at the point where I am enjoying the sunshine and the heat. I'm sure by September I will be ready for some cooler temperatures, but for now, bring on the sun!

Today I made my first attempt at taking the boys to the big rec center pool by myself. I was so nervous about it, but it went great. We all had a good time and no one drowned. Whew! Up until now we have been enjoying our blow up kiddie pool out on the lawn, but I think that going to the big pool will be more of an option now. I get wetter that way though. Hmm.

We have also been grilling a lot. We love to grill hamburgers, chicken, and pork chops. Weston always goes outside to help. And by help, I mean he uses the spray bottle to water the plants and plays with sidewalk chalk while daddy grills. I love grilling season for several reasons:
1. I don't have to do it.
2. It doesn't heat up my house to make dinner.
3. It gets Weston out of my hair at the oh so difficult dinner hour.
4. Weston will actually eat almost every thing we do on the grill. That kid loves pork chops!
5. It's delicious!
We are finally playing on our newly seeded back lawn! It's still about half weeds, half grass, but it works and it's green. I enjoy that part of the yard because it's very shady most of the day and since it's not concrete I don't worry so much about Davin falling off his little climbing toy. Davin LOVES to play outside and is just starting to figure out this little slide by himself.
This last Sunday we went to dinner at our friends, the Miller's, house. Another friend from my home ward was visiting, so we had a blast chatting and eating yummy raspberry pretzel jello salad. The Miller's have 4 boys, so my kids enjoy all the new toys and friends.
Here's Davin and Benson sharing so nicely. It didn't last. By the end of the evening Benson kept stealing Dav's binki. It was kind of funny and kind of sad. Weston stayed occupied the entire evening playing with Lincoln, watching a movie, and eating the candy lei that Auntie Lynn made for all the kids.
Last night I had Young Women's in the evening, so the kids were already in bed when I got home, but Weston's light was on because he is good about having "quiet time" before going to sleep if he's not tired. I went in to tuck him in and turn off his light and this is what I saw.
What a sweet, good kid Weston is. I am so lucky to be his mom. I know that I will never be able to just leave Davin with his light on in his room and be able to trust that he will read in bed until he gets tired then turn off the light and go to sleep. Weston, on the other hand, does that fairly often. Weston also loves books. We get 6 or 7 books at a time from the library and read them non-stop for a week. I hope that he continues to love reading as he grows up. Weston is so much like me in that he enjoys his sleep. The other night Weston was up 3 times in the middle of the night. I was so annoyed (not to mention tired) when Davin woke up at 6:45am the next morning. I finally went in and woke Weston up at 9am. He was all lethargic and when I told him it was time for a bath he said "I don't want to do anything. Just sleep and sleep and sleep." A boy after my own heart. I love my cute boys and I am having so much fun with all our summer adventures!

11 comments:

Emilee said...

I'll echo Weston's sentiment. I'd love to sleep and sleep and sleep.

Unknown said...

aw, I love that sleeping with a book pic. What a good boy.

Jared and Delia said...

That is so nice that you have a boy who likes his sleep. That picture is precious.

Those pork chops sounds yummy to me too! Don't you love it when you can find SOMETHING that they will eat all of. :)

Tasha said...

Yea for summer!!! I love grilling things too. i think my next two week menu is going to be almost all grilling. The heat here is killing me with no air! I know I am a whimp, but it is true!

Mom said...

I'm sure Davin will grow up and someday want to curl up and read a book before bed ;-) Maybe he'll be twelve, but I'm sure it will happen!! You love grilling for all the same reasons I love grilling!! We had grilled salmon tonight. Yum, yum. I can't wait for the sister's retreat. I have a great idea for how to do the money for the meals. I got it from a friend of mine. Call me sometime.

Kate said...

Whata a sweet post! I love when they fall asleep on their own like that. I couldn't help but cringe at the words "bring on the sun"- but we have much different climates we're living in :)

Glen & Kat said...

Your yard looks great. That's so cute that Weston was helping Davin go down the slide at the end of that video...what a sweet brother!

joyous said...

Fun, fun, fun!!! I'm jealous of your little "green" yard! But I'm glad to hear that you can survive the pool too. Weston is getting bigger and braver. (yay!) And he really is a sweetie. What a fun post!

The Shaws said...

I dread cooking dinner bc I know my house will get so hot! Don't you love the sleep schedules of kids?! I'm dealing with my own sleep issues with Luke, not to mention it's hard to sleep when I'm pregnant.

Tara said...

Looks like you guys are having fun at home too! I called you on a last minute trip to Jumpin Jacks to see if you wanted to join me, but I didn't leave a msg b/c I was already on my way there and figured you'd get it too late. Sorry. I made playdough cookies finally. Those things are so cool. Think I'll post on my blog too if you don't mind, I was so excited when I saw those things on yours. Ok... talk to you soon!

Liz Smith said...

i LOVE summer! i am so happy you are enjoying it. i loved the pic of your little boy asleep with his book. :)