Friday, August 21, 2009

Cookin' Up Some Fun

Yesterday was a busy, fun day. I started off the day with discovering Davin's new ability.
He can pick up Weston's stool in the bathroom and move it over to the sink, then climb up. He still can't really reach anything, but it does give me one more reason to lock him out of the bathroom. Cute though, right?

We ended up going on a marathon outing yesterday too. I decided to give the Noah's Ark fountain at the Thanksgiving Point Children's Garden one last chance. Success! It was working! The boys really enjoyed it. Davin more so than Weston. You can't see much of the fountain part in the pics, but there were streams of water squirting out of the sides of the boat in the middle and from the elephants on the sculpture. This spot was on the outskirts of the fountain. The water was cold, but felt really good in the heat of the day.
When we were ready for a break from the fountain we went and visited the bear cave and went to the Discovery Station to see what the craft was. Weston made these adorable bug wings! He was so excited about them. He is still wearing them today actually.
(The stick was his wand. Apparently bugs and butterflies have wands.)
After we left we decided to use our Chipotle coupons we got from finishing the library's summer reading program. I hadn't been to Chipotle since we lived in NYC way back when. My carnitas taco was delish. I will have to go back again soon. Right next door to Chipotle is a little bakery called Nothing Bundt Cakes, so we stopped in and got a mini red velvet cake to take to Ian's work and share with him. We went and visited and enjoyed seeing Daddy for a few minutes. We didn't get home until around 2pm. Davin crashed, but Weston decided he didn't need a nap.

As some of you know, Ian has been working crazy hours for weeks, or maybe months, now. He hasn't been home for dinner much this week. I feel very little motivation to cook when Ian isn't home for dinner. I also realized that I had never made pizzas with Weston, so last night we made english muffin pizzas. They were a big hit. Weston loved putting his together himself, eating the cold pepperoni, then watching them bake, AND he actually ate his whole pizza and a couple bites of Davin's! It's a miracle.
***I just used Prego as the sauce. It's OK, but does anyone have any other suggestions for good pizza sauce? Preferably something I can buy at the store?

He liked them so much that he asked to make them again for lunch today. Since we still had all the stuff for them I said yes.

So, yes things have been fairly busy and fun for us. Ian is supposed to be home on time tonight and we are looking forward to the weekend. We don't have church on Sunday because of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication. We will go to the morning broadcast of the dedication and then hopefully have a quiet, calm Sunday.

My other thing right now is that I am slightly obsessed with finding us a family dog. I think Ian has always been ready for a pet, but I've been hesitant. Now that we have decided a smaller dog will work for us, I decided that now is a pretty good time to get a dog. I don't have to worry about potty training Davin for at least another year. We won't have a new baby for at least that long either, and Davin is hardly a baby anymore. I started researching breeds of dogs that are good with children, smart, easily trained, etc. I'm pretty much hooked on getting an Australian Shepherd. They also have mini and toy Aussies. I already talked to the lady who has these toy Aussie puppies and I really want to go check them out. I'm fairly positive though that if we go look, we will come home with one. Seriously, would you be able to resist? I think not.

11 comments:

Tasha said...

English Muffin pizzas sound like something I need to do for dinner soon! My boys LOVE pizza. Love it. We do regular pizza often, but sometimes I just am not up for the work of making the dough. So, this would be a fun solution. :) I just use spaghetti sauce too for my pizzas. But, My mom uses a good "pizza sauce" she buys at Trader Joes. I have seen "Pizza Sauce" in the spaghetti sauce section of the grocery store. You could look for it or ask. I haven't tried them, so I don't know which one would be best, but you could try some out. :) Good luck dog hunting. That puppy picture is darling. :)

Shewi128 said...

I've used pizza sauce from the grocery store.. One brand comes in a squeeze bottle (really handy) and the other is in a jar. Easy as pizza pie. I also make a homemade batch and freeze individual baggies for pizza at a later time, and just microwave them when I need them.

Jared and Delia said...

Yay a puppy! I like that breed too... I think. We haven't really looked into dogs that much yet. Good luck.

As for pizza sauce. We actually like to use ranch dressing. It is more fattening but our little biddies need lots of that since they are so little. I actually also like plain old tomato sauce with some garlic powder and onion powder in it. You can also add some S&P. It tastes very simple and more like tomato than sugar. Just the way I like it.

Kate said...

I'm always trying different sauces too. It's always tempting to buy the 99cent ones, but I think the little bit more expensive ones are worth the extra $ :) Can't wait to see your puppy! Your boys will be so excited :)

joyous said...

Great post! We just had english muffin pizzas this week too! I buy the Ralph's brand pizza sauce and it's fine.

Davin is such a big boy, how fun! I love seeing all the things he can do.

Good luck with your puppy hunt! Can't wait to see what you come home with. And I'm glad to hear that Ian gets to come home. ;)

Alexis said...

I think Nothing Bundt Cakes started in Vegas. It was a big deal down here. We always had those for our birthdays.

Mmmm. Cream cheese frosting.

Mom said...

That is the cutest puppy ever!! Almost as cute as Davin himself. Davin up to the bathroom sink is pretty cute too. Pretty soon he'll be up there brushing his teeth :-) Keep me posted on the puppy front!! Love ya!!

Shan said...

I definitely could not resist a cute little dog with a cute little face like that! I know this is probably a step to far ahead, but have you started thinking about names for your future dog?

Hilary said...

I can't believe how 'grown up' little David looks in the bathroom picture!
Ellie likes the fountains/splash parks/Noah's ark type of things way more than Annie does. She's just more adventurous than her big sister!The dog is adorable . . . I'm glad I have my deadly allergies that keep me in check about pets, or I would've come home with a 3 month old Rottweiler/Lab mix that was up for adoption at the PetSmart the other day (reminded me so much of one of my childhood dogs) :-)

Anonymous said...

Ryan & I have already started thinking of dog names, mainly cause we're hoping on getting a dog before having a baby. If for some reason we get to, we're thinking Marty & Doc. Roo, walle, gritts, manny, lenny/lenoard. We've been having fun. I can't wait to see what puppy you get! Good luck!

Monica said...

Love the pic of Davin standing on the stepstool! So cute!! And YUM...I love English muffin pizzas! We just use pizza sauce by Ragu...at the grocery store. That puppy is ADORABLE!!! I think you guys should definitely go with that kind! Evan loves dogs...we need to get him one eventually! :-) Glad to see you guys are doing well! Always having tons of fun with your little boys! You are the ultimate mom...my role model!