Friday, August 28, 2009

The World Is New

Yesterday Weston chose Farm Country as our outing. We hadn't been since early summer, so I was excited. It was great. Not too crowded. All the garden plots were growing, so I got to point out strawberries and tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. But the biggest difference was that Davin was walking! It is seriously just a whole new world for him. He loved getting to run around and see all the exhibits inside. He had a very vocal pony ride, which I didn't get to video because I was holding him up. He had a blast petting the baby cow and playing in the jail and dance hall rooms. See Davin . . . life really is more fun when you can walk!

Davin gets very excited when he sees birds, so he enjoyed being able to see eye to eye with the ducklings. He probably scared them to death though with his banging on the window.
Cute baby cow. Cute boys.
I know this one is blurry, but he was just having SUCH a blast running in circles through the little jail. This is the only picture I got that you could see his ecstatic face (he just won't hold still).
Weston on his second pony ride. He wanted the biggest pony. :)
I have also been reading a ton this summer. It has been really fun. I was trying to remember what all I had read in the last 3 months-ish. Here's the list, as far as I can recall.

-The Book Thief (as you know, fabulous)
-The Penderwicks (wonderful, quick youth read)
-Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
-Tales of Beedle the Bard
-Goose Girl
-Enna Burning
-River Secrets (currently reading)
-The Wednesday Letters (just finished last night, it was very sweet)
-Recovering Charles (a book about a man's hunt for his estranged father in New Orleans in the days following Katrina)
-Lemon Tart (a cute little murder mystery)

At some point I would like to re-read the Twilight series before the new movie comes out. If you have any other good book recommendations please let me know. I have a couple more books on my list, but I'm really far back on the hold list at the library for them, so I need something to read in the interim.

Finally, still no word on when we will be getting the puppy. I am going to wait until after the weekend to call again since the current owners are moving this weekend and I'm sure will not have time to drive over and meet up with us. I'll keep y'all posted.

10 comments:

Tasha said...

What a fun afternoon out! I loved getting your book list too. I hadn't read some of those, so was excited to see if I can get them from my library. I am reading Inkheart right now and it is pretty good.

Amanda said...

OK--LOVE your book list. I'm a HUGE fan of Shannon Hale--anything I can get my hands on by her, I love. In fact, I'm re-reading The Goose Girl right now. And, several on your list are books on my "To Read" list. Are you on Goodreads.com? If so, add me, (sympatichna at hotmail dot com), and check out the list of books I've read. There are several on there that are GREAT reads!

Emilee said...

I just read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford. It was a light, enjoyable read.

Shan said...

Is Westin wearing goggles? I wasn't quite sure... How cute in any case. So books to read...I love reading, as you may remember. Some of my favorites this summer have been North and South, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society are books I highly recommend!!! If you're wanting something light and fluffy, Austenland is a quick read.

Jared and Delia said...

I am reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It is non-fiction but very enlightening.

I too love Shannon Hale. Have you read Book of a Thousand Days. It goes something like that.

I am excited to try some of yours. Thanks for posting about it.

Anonymous said...

I just finished "The Warrior Heir" by Cinda Chima and "City of Bones" by Cassandra Clare. Those are each the first books in a series of three. The "City of Bones" series is now one of my all-time favorites, ranks up there with Twilight. I'm on goodreads.com if you want to check out my mega list of books. thanks for sharing yours!

Grandma B said...

Such fun to see Davin in the mix of the big boy activities and not on the outskirts in the stroller. He is so cute running around. You'll have to do all your local outings again, but they'll be like new with Davin in the upright position. So fun. Sorry you don't have your dog yet. I'll try to be patient with you! Talk to you this weekend!

Liz Smith said...

I thought The Kiterunner was a very powerful story...it takes place in Afghanistan. It's about 2 boys who are friends before any of the wars start and what happens as the russians invade and then eventually the Taliban, however, a few girls i know don't want to read it for fear that it will be too much for them. There is one scene there dealing with the abuse of a child, which is heartbreaking. But yeah, it's a good read. As for something light and fun, i always enjoy anything by nicholas sparks. :) thanks for posting your list. i have been looking for stuff to read!

Tasha said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I Just have to tell you that I ENVY you all the time! You take care of your 2 boys so well, with patience and love and you get out of the house and DO things ALL the time. I am always wondering how you do it all and stay so happy and good! I sure do love you Shannon!

Kayse Pratt said...

the shopaholic books, and others by sophie kinsella are all really fun, quick reads!