Saturday, April 10, 2010

Be Prepared

I am feeling very accomplished and peaceful this morning. Today I finally bit the bullet and started my food storage. It really, truly is just a start, but I have to start somewhere, right? My whole life being prepared has been an important topic of counsel from my church leaders and from my parents. For the past 6 years (since I have been married and responsible for my family) I have found excuses why I can't have food storage--it's too expensive, I have no place to store it, I don't know how to cook with it, etc. Well, with earthquakes hitting various parts of the globe with alarming frequency and pandemic scares, I decided it was high time I take a little responsibility. If other people can do it, then why not me?

Today I took advantage of some fantastic emergency preparedness sales and bought $100 worth of food storage. Here's what I'm starting with:
50lbs. flour
50lbs. hard white wheat
20lbs. long grain rice
24 cans corn
24 cans cream of chicken soup
24 cans sliced peaches
12 cans assorted beans
2 containers of iodized salt
1 #10 can honey cornbread mix
1 #10 can dehydrated chicken bits
1 5 gallon storage tub for the flour

Things I still want to add:
oil
sugar/honey
water drums
dehydrated beef jerky
dehydrated chopped onions
wheat grinder

Some of these items I will rotate regularly in my normal cooking, like the canned fruit, veggies, and soups. I will use the rice and flour in my regular cooking too. I will have to get/borrow a wheat grinder to use the wheat, but that's one of the things I want to learn. I also am interested to see if I can try making some regular recipes using the chicken bits. I'm sure this is extremely unimpressive to some of you pro food storers our there, but I'm still excited about our start and if you have any tips, recipes, or deals please email me!!!

14 comments:

Denny said...

good job. I have a hand wheat grinder. Its not hard to do and the kids had fun grinding it at one time! he he
love the pictures of the babies. Ivy and her mom and dad are moved in!

lisa said...

Hey impressive! you'll have to let us know how those chicken bits go... :)

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

You've made good choices & great progress!

Tasha said...

Way to get started :) doesn't it feel good? I always think so. Every time we add a little more it just makes me feel a little more at peace.

Kate said...

Way to go Shannon! I agree, it's a great feeling to have a reserve. I'm in the process of going through our stuff and trying to use some so it doesn't go to waste.

Liz Smith said...

definitely impressive! We have absolutely no food storage. it's one of those things that's on my 'someday i'll do it' list. i wish i had more motivation.

Delia said...

That first step is the hardest. Good for you Shannon. YOu can cook the wheat up like rice too...aka wheat berries (you may already know that so ignore me if you do). They are really yummy with butter and salt, in salads, in oatmeal. I have heard you can make a "wheat treat" out of them too and even pop them like popcorn...I hear. I plan to try it out so I will let you know how that works out if you want. That way you don't always just have to grind it up. :)

sara said...

Stanford and I started our food storage slowly but we still need to add a lot of food. I was going to clean out my pantry tonight so I could see what we have a lot of and then buy more. We've got a ton of powdered milk and oats but we need more staple foods (and water!!!!) I loved all you've bought. Go you!

John and Laura said...

Good for you, Shannon! I'm so proud of you.

You're inspiring me to make a real menu (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) for three months and then have all the food for it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I bought a 50 lb. bag of sugar to add to my food storage and your post has inspired me to get it into a bucket before the ants get to it. I'm sure if I was starving I wouldn't mind a few crunchy black specks in my sugar but...

Katie said...

I just went out and bought food storage today too! I have been following foodstoragemadeeasy.com ( I think that's the website) and they send you lists each month of what to buy. I am re-organizing closets to find space for it all but I think it will work, thanks for your inspiration! Where did you get the flour tub, I need one??

Dinners and Dreams said...

That's so great. I need to start doing the same thing.

Have a wonderful evening!

Nisrine

jenn (+ will) said...

you are awesome! good for you! i have zero food storage...

J, J and B said...

That's so great seriously. I emailed my family last week and urged them to check their food storage and keep it up to date. The Earth has been shaking quite a bit lately. We really have been urged for years now by the presidency to get our food storage ready. It's always important to take those kinds of things very seriously. We don't get earthquakes here, but cyclones and bush fires. Thank goodness.