Friday, September 24, 2010

Date Night

Tonight I got to go on a special date with Davin. Ian went camping with the scouts and took Weston with him. I knew Dav would be disappointed to be left behind, but we made sure we had plenty of fun. When he woke up from his nap I went in to get him and he was up on Weston's top bunk. "Weston? Gone?" is what he said. He asked to watch Buzz, so we started Toy Story 2, but around 5pm I asked him if he wanted to go on an outing with Mommy. He was all for that, but a little confused that we didn't have Mommy's car.

We went to Chuck E. Cheese. We got $10 worth of tokens (which ended up being 50) and I let Davin run around and do whatever he wanted. Interestingly he was NOT interested in the rides. He tried one or two but wanted to get out pretty soon after they started. He liked the games. Especially ones with balls. It was so fun to just let him do whatever he wanted. He won a couple ticket jackpot games and had over 200 tickets when he ran out of tokens. I got a few games of skeeball in, but mostly I let Dav do the games he wanted. It took about an hour to blow through 50 tokens and he wasn't really done playing, but I was not going to buy more tokens and it was starting to get crowded. We went and got a few prizes (he mostly wanted candy). He even picked out a prize for Weston. What a good brother. I was too busy following Dav around and helping him with games to take pictures, but we did use a token to do this little "sketch" booth.
On our way out the door he started to fuss a little and point at the games again. Luckily I distracted him with the lure of his tootsie rolls. Next we went to dinner at Cafe Rio. I had been wanting a pork salad for awhile, but Ian never seems to want Cafe Rio. Davin was a charmer in line. He flirted with everyone and pretty much stayed by my side. He ate his entire (not kidding, every bite) kid quesadilla (FYI did you know they are free?) while I munched my delicious salad. Seriously, I can't get over how adorable Davin is. He talks and makes funny faces. He is inquisitive and playfully mischievous. I told him to stay in his chair, but he slowly slipped off it while giving me this sneaky smile then started playing peekaboo with me from behind it. How could I resist?
Needless to say we had a fun time. We snuggled up and watched the rest of Toy Story when we got home, then it was bedtime. What a fun Mommy and Dav date. We will have to do it again sometime. I feel like I used to do stuff like this with Weston all the time, but Davin doesn't get the same one on one time with me. I hope Daddy and Weston are having just as good of a time on their camp out!

7 comments:

Delia said...

What a fun thing to have a date with just Davin! I didn't know the kid quesadillas are free! Very cool. Thanks for the tip.

Tara said...

That is really cool. Nice that you gave him your undivided attention the whole time. And you're such a cool mom to take him to Chuck E Cheese! Jarom has been begging every time we pass it for as long as I can remember. Someday I will have to follow your example! ps have fun tonight!!

elizabeth said...

Davin is a little charmer. I can't wait for next weekend when you all arrive. I'm going to hate going to work Saturday morning. . .blah!!! But after 12:30. . .let the party begin. . . so what are your big plans for tonight??

P.S. Be sure to post pictures from Weston/Ian's camp out experience.

jilljohnson said...

What a fun time! My sister does a one-on-one with each of her kids each month and I think it is a great idea.

J, J and B said...

One on one time is hard. It will get harder when the next little one comes, so it's good you're doing things now!! When they're older it will get easier to do that kind of stuff. Kids totally remember those times also. Some of my most favorite memories of my mom and dad are those times! :)

Katie and Bryson said...

And now you have discovered why Cafe Rio is our fave...Bry and I share a salad and the kids eat free! Everyone is happy for under $10, it's fabulous. You are getting close to your due date (well closer than me!)...getting excited???!?!?

Tasha said...

What a fun date night! I love it. It is nice to do things with just one child huh? I always enjoy it.

I saw you last night singing! My Mom and I were looking the whole time. Finally we saw you. I even did a little embarrising "There she is!" loudly and pointed. As if I was sitting in my own living room and watching it or something. That must have been quite the experience! Love that you got to do that.