Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Turkey Day!

We had a very nice, low key Thanksgiving. I am so grateful for the blessings in my life. My family, my friends, the gospel, my home, Ian's job/my job, my talents, freedom, and all the myriad of things and/or conveniences I can't seem to live without.

We started the morning watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. This was never a big deal at my house growing up, but it was on and we were just having a slow morning, so I decided it would be fun to watch. The kids, Davin especially, love the giant balloons and got really excited to see Spiderman and Buzz in the sky. Weston enjoyed getting dressed and running to Smith's for donuts with Dad. Luckily Ian beat the Thanksgiving morning rush at the grocery store. I looked through the newspaper ads while I watched the parade. At first I thought I better not even look, but since we were on the hunt for a good deal on a TV I decided I would go through the ads.

I handed all the ones with TVs I thought we would be interested in to Ian and he researched the models online. There were 2 different models at Smith's Marketplace near his work that were the same price and mostly the same specs. Since the store was going to be open most of Thanksgiving Day he decided to run over there and check out the two TVs before we left for our Thanksgiving dinner. Wouldn't you know it, he came home with a Samsung 40 inch LCD HDTV! I kind of felt guilty that we bought it on Thanksgiving Day, but at least we didn't have to get up at 3am this morning and camp out in front of Best Buy or Target to get a deal on a TV.

Anyway, we spent the rest of the day up in Ogden at my Auntie B's house with family. It was wonderful. She even let me off the hook and didn't ask me to bring any food. It was all delicious and I didn't have to do any of the work. Thanks for always hosting us Auntie B! It was also nice that the boys are a little older and were pretty independent the whole time. They didn't eat much, but they had great fun playing with their older cousins. It was a successful, lovely Thanksgiving.

When we got home Ian set up the new TV, of course. It looks ginormous compared to the little 20 inch one we have had since we got married. It also looks really nice. Ian decided to look into signing up for cable so he could watch the BYU v. Utah game on Saturday in HD on his new TV. It ended up being a little bit of a hassle, but 6 phone calls and 2 trips to the Comcast office later we think we've got it worked out. Sheesh!

This is where Ian has been for a good part of the day either enjoying watching the new TV, playing around with settings on the new TV, or on the phone with Comcast about the new TV. :)
I spent the day decorating the house for Christmas. We also went and got our Christmas tree this afternoon. If you're planning on getting a tree this weekend . . . check out your local Lowe's. Our 5-6 foot noble fir tree was on special for only $19.97! I think we paid $40ish last year. Anyway, I think it's a pretty cute tree. Sorry my picture turned out blurry, but you get the idea. The tree and the new TV. It seems like Christmas is coming early at our house. It kind of is.
Tomorrow I have a couple stores I want to go to just so I can use my really great coupons. Then we will watch the big BYU v. Utah game in the afternoon, and hopefully get the Christmas boxes and other stuff that has been displaced put away before we start a new week of waiting for baby. Speaking of baby . . . I am SO done being pregnant. My back was killing me today. My cough is still lingering and I think I sprained my toe. It's really annoying. Any time baby wants to join us would be good with me!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

tv looks like a great early Christmas gift to yourselves! Glad Thanksgiving was so relaxing (minus the cable issues) and hopefully the lil gal gets the hint and comes SOON!

Liz Smith said...

congrats on the new member of the family (referring to the tv). :) I remember when we got ours, i had never seen my husband so giddy. oh, and samsung makes the BEST HDTVs. good choice!!! happy thanksgiving/early christmas! :)

elizabeth said...

Your tree looks great. We even managed to get a tree this weekend. Most of the decorations are up too. Your TV is so nice. Is it hard to work or did you get a universal remote?? We're planning to decorate the tree tomorrow after Jules gets home from church. I think we might possibly have this house ready for Christmas by Monday morning! Go us!

Tara said...

I wish I would have read this earlier, that's a great deal on the Christmas tree. I think we got ours there last year for that price, but I'm not sure if it was a noble fir. I'll keep my eye out. We didn't really have time with Justin going to the game. I'm sorry we didn't come over there, I ended up going to Justin's parents anyway... they kept most of the leftovers from Thanksgiving so we could all eat them while we watched the game and I kinda wanted some of the pies I slaved over! haha jk. Well your house looks cute and Christmas-y and love the new tv!

J, J and B said...

You lucked out! I had heard about a lot of crazy "Black Friday" shoppers camping out!! I love that everyone put up their Christmas trees... only a few days after Thanksgiving! Tis the season!

Jessica said...

It was so fun to see you on Thanksgiving! I'm jealous that you already have your tree up. We'll probably do that next weekend. Colby is jealous of your TV! It looks like a lot of fun. :-)

Lynsey said...

Beautiful tree1 We are going to finally get one this year. How do you get it up higher off the ground like that? Wes is trying to walk and we need it out of his reach.

Delia said...

Ian looks as excited as a kid on Christmas! :) Yay for a new TV.

That is great that you had a good Thanksgiving. I am so checking out Lowes...it might be too late for the deal but maybe they'll mark their stuff down better than the other stores in the second week in Dec. when we are planning on getting our tree...thanks for the tip!

I hope your baby comes soon...the waiting game is not fun!