Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Steals and Deals

Everyone knows I love a good deal. I had kind of a mixed day out shopping today. After I dropped Weston off at school I took Davin and we headed to Xpedx (a paper store) in search of some cute thank you cards and a big box of blank notecards. I was completely out of stationery and I have a long list of thank you's to start writing. I was pretty disappointed in their selection. Plus they didn't seem to be very good deals. The box of 100 notecards with envelopes was $26.99 and the box of 50 cute thank you's with envelopes was $21.99. I bought them, but since I've been home I looked up stationery on Target's website and they have a cuter, bigger selection, so I will most likely be heading back to Xpedx to return my purchases.

I did a LOT better at Babies R Us. Seriously, you must get yourself there. They had 4-5 circular racks full of clearance clothes in all sizes that were ALL on extra clearance for $4.99 no matter what their tag said. Some of the onesies and shirts weren't that great of a deal at $4.99, but I scored a Carter's velour track suit outfit with matching onesie, an adorable Carter's corduroy jumper with long sleeve shirt outfit, and a Koala Baby bunting that goes over baby's regular outfit and has a hole so you can still strap them in the carseat for only $4.99 each! Had I paid original prices those 3 outfits would have cost $89.99. Had I paid the clearance prices marked on the tags the outfits would have cost $53.90. Instead I paid just $14.97! If you need winter clothes for a baby or baby gifts go check out Babies R Us stat!

I also bought the pink hamper for the nursery. It was $21.99, plus I used a 20% off coupon and my $10 gift card from registering and only paid $7.59 for it. I call that some shopping success. It was a fun high. :)

After a quick visit with my friend from BYU who just moved back up to Utah, I picked up Weston from school and dropped both boys off at my neighbor's house so I could go to the eye doctor. I have a few sets of contacts left so I was going to wait to go in until later, but then last night I had a weird loss of peripheral vision so I called and made an appointment. The doctor said my eyes are fine, but my vision "thing" was a textbook description of an optical migraine. I'm guessing it's hormone/pregnancy related since I have never gotten migraines in the past. I was glad to hear that it was not a permanent problem or something. My contact prescription did change a little which was a bummer since it's been constant for several years. Oh well.

By the time we all got home I was tired. I really haven't done much else this afternoon except put away the baby stuff and set up the hamper. I love watching the nursery slowly come together. It makes me smile and get even more excited/anxious for baby to come. I am making lots of plans in hopes of either inducing labor through Murphy's Law (if I am not ready for baby/have important plans she will come) or just staying busy until next week's doctor's appointment.

6 comments:

Alexis said...

This got labor started for me (although I think I was probably pretty ready anyway):

Put a heating pad on your lower back and have Ian rub your feet, focusing on the pressure point on your inner leg. Google labor pressure points to find it.

Hope your little girl comes soon!

Cami said...

I'm surprised the optometrist didn't tell you the vision changes are most likely from the pregnancy. I used to work for an optometrist and she'd give discounts to pregnant women because vision often changes during pregnancy and they'd have to come back after the baby was born for a more accurate exam. Your eyes can retain water just like any other part of your body. So just keep that in mind since you said your RX changed... it's very likely to return to normal after you give birth. (Or maybe your eyes did just change a little over time which is also possible.) But the optical migraines can also be pregnancy related so don't worry too much about that, especially since you're so close to the end.

It was great to see you today! I was going to check out Babies R Us today but the girls didn't cooperate with my plans. Maybe tomorrow!

Tara said...

Whoa score at Babies R Us, good job! Did you know I had ocular migraines with this last pregnancy too?? Weird. Mine were a little more intense though, it was like black spots all over the place, I could hardly see anything when it happened. The worst was when I was checking out at Sam's and it happened. I had the kids with me and I just had to make it out to the van and sit there for 15-20 minutes til it went away enough for me to drive! I drove straight to the WalMart next door and had the optometrist check me out. Yeah, same conclusion. It hasn't happened since I had the baby, but it probably happened 6 or 7 times during my pregnancy. Weird stuff!

Liz Smith said...

i get those migraines from time to time and im not even pregnant. although i also see spots and get tingly/numbness in my hands, and i can't think or talk straight. It usually lasts about 30 minutes and then the migraine hits, but man, that half hour is scary, not to mention you're pretty much incapacitated. ugh! they are crappy that's for sure. hopefully you don't have to experience that again.

i will be rooting for that baby to come to out! i'm already bummed she isn't going to be a november baby after all. :P

elizabeth said...

Sadly you have hormone induced migraines in your family history. . . but not ocular migraines. I hope you don't have too many more of those. I had to stop wearing hard contacts while I had you kids b/c my retina retained water and they didn't fit anymore.

Great shopping karma, however. Great deal on the hamper too. I was looking at those buntings, so I'm glad you got one on clearance! (They were expensive!) Can't wait to see you and get away from all the drama here at the district!!

J, J and B said...

Oh the (many) side effects of pregnancy! Good thing it wasn't permanent though! Very nice finding those deals! You're always good with those kinds of things. I'm sure it blesses your family!