Saturday, February 16, 2008

Working Late

My oh-so-talented hubby is a graphic designer. He loves his job and what he does. It continues to fascinate and challenge him. He currently works for a company called Verite. He has been with them for a couple years now since he graduated from BYU and has advanced to Art Director in that time.
Ok, so the reason I am writing about Ian's job is that the nature of being a designer is that you work on deadlines constantly. Some projects it's no big deal because the timeline is appropriate to the work that needs to be done, the client responds with minimal changes, etc. However, every other month or so Ian works insane hours. These times always seem to correspond with busy times at home as well. What else would we expect?
Unfortunately this week is another one of those times. I haven't really seen Ian since Tuesday night. Wednesday he came home a little late (mainly due to horrendous weather and consequently horrendous traffic) but then we both had mutual so I didn't get to see him until about 9pm. Then the next day (Valentine's Day) he found out he had a rush project with a deadline after the weekend, so he stayed at Verite until 1am. Weston and I went and visited him before bedtime for a little while. Last night he stayed at work until 2:30am and we didn't get to see him all day or night. This morning (Saturday) he left the house about 9am to be in for a conference call at 10, which the client apparently ignored. We just got back from visiting and going to lunch together, but he will probably be there until late late again tonight.
Luckily he will be able to take tomorrow (Sunday) off, which is good because it's our ward conference and he kinda needs to be there. However, his President's Day holiday is shot as he will be at work all day that day too. The only upside here is that Verite is generally pretty good about compensating their employees for the crazy rush job hours they work, so Ian gets to take his monday holiday some other time (probably when the baby is born) and we already got a nice gift card since he worked all Valentine's night. A bonus should be forthcoming for the inconvenience of this weekend too.
Anyway, it does leave me lonely and slightly stir crazy with just a 2 year old to talk to, but at least I didn't have much else to do except work on my blog and now it's all cute and yellow! :) The ups and downs of being a designer's wife. I should have known going in. I still love my hard working hubby and can't wait til things calm down and we get a chance to reconnect.

6 comments:

Tori said...

Very cute blog! I love the colors. Mitch has to work on Monday also.

Carly said...

Sad day! At least he is going to be compensated for it... but bummer for both of you!

I LOVE the new blog. Keep the posts coming!...

joyous said...

Bummer that he's not home so often. Jim is going to be gone next week, so I feel your pain. Call me when you're bored!!

What gift card did you guys get?!?

Tasha said...

Love the new blog background! But, bummer about Ian being gone all the time. Really bummer. i don't like being a single mom very much. It becomes tiring very fast. I am glad you get some compensation for it and he likes his job. I love you! Good luck!

brie said...

You're a rockstar, for real. I can't imagine having Cade and being very prego and being as patient and sweet a wife as you are!

Amanda said...

I totally remember having weeks like that when Ryan was working full-time and going to school part-time. It seemed like the work deadlines always fell around school project due dates or midterms. While his job was great about giving comp time, school isn't so forgiving! :) BTW--Has it really been that long since I checked your blog? I didn't even know you were pregnant! LOL!