My blogging (and occasional real life) buddy, Sheena, did a whole week of
keepin it real. It was hilariously refreshing and honest. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with being that honest. I think I'm just too embarrassed about my imperfections. In an effort to be less Type A in my parenting (since I fear I am completely screwing up my toddler), I am going to attempt to let the facade slip a bit.

As you know, if you read this blog, I have been trying to potty train Weston in the last 10 days. Of those 10 days he has pooped in the toilet ONE time. The other FIVE times he has pooped in his pants. It is disgusting and I have to confess I have tried putting him in time out for pooping in his pants. Finally I decided I was being too controlling about the whole thing, so today I am just letting him do his thing. I'm not reminding him to go potty (except before his nap) and Ian gave me permission to offer him ANYTHING as a reward for pooping in the toilet. So far, no dice, but I'm still crossing my fingers that I will eventually hit on the right inspiration (aka reward) for him.
I think of myself as somewhat of a neat freak. This coincides with the whole Type A thing I have going. Anyway, the truth is, my house is really not all that clean, it's just tidy most of the time. I can't remember the last time I mopped the bathrooms.
I am absolutely NOT a
germaphobe. I don't care if people drink out of my cup and I don't obsessively use hand sanitizer. I actually think hand sanitizer is gross because it smells weird and makes my hands taste gross (if for some reason I have to lick my fingers).
I LOVE to chew ice. I don't own ice trays though because I am an ice snob. I only really like the little crushed pellet ice. I buy a 1o pound bag of it at Sonic for $1.59 every few days in the summer.
I HATE the dentist. I know most people hate the dentist, but here's the kicker. We pay for dental insurance through Ian's work, but I haven't been to the dentist in almost 2 years. Simply because I don't want to know how many cavities I have or get them filled or be told for the umpteenth time I need my wisdom teeth out. I have had "make a dentist appointment" on my list of things to do every day for the last week and still I haven't actually made the call.
I can polish off an entire thing of Chewy Chips Ahoy by myself in the course of 24 hours or less.
I am pretty positive I look HOT in a swim cap and goggles. I have never actually seen myself in said accessories, but I can't imagine they look that bad on me. Speaking of swim caps and goggles. Weston insisted on trying them on today when he found them on the couch after my swimming workout this morning. It was hilarious. Apparently he thought the cap was a football helmet.


I often will leave Davin in his crib for up to an hour in the mornings as long as he isn't crying. Poor kid has to learn early on to entertain himself. Davin is all of a sudden such a big boy. He is almost sitting up on his own and has started rolling over from his back to his tummy. Once he gets to his tummy he's not real happy about it, but he seems to like the rolling part. I am trying to not neglect him as much now that he's not a little infant lump anymore. It's a constant change
accommodating 2 little ones. Hopefully I can make it work and I won't mess them up too badly.

Look out for future "
keepin it real" posts from yours truly.
18 comments:
Good for you. The honesty is refreshing and it is nice to know that I am not the only one who does some of those things.
Let me add one: I sleep in until 8 am and Owen wakes up at 7:00 or 7:30. He just fends for himself until I get up. This morning he poured himself a bowl of goldfish and colored until I rolled out of bed. How's that one for you?
I have to make a dentist appt. too. I'll make one if you make one??!!! First one to make it owes the other one their favorite See's in October! Is the incentive?
I hate the dentist too. I still can't believe I married someone who wants to be one. I just had my wisdom teeth out last week and I must admit that it sucked. My mouth still hurts and I'm tired of chewing like a rabbit.
Really do with you the best with the potty training saga. I am so not looking forward to that. Thanks for sharing that stuff!
I was just thinking, have you tried putting a potty chair in his favorite pooping spot? For us this meant alternatively placing one in our living room and in our closet (gross!), but it got the job done. They need to go where they are comfortable. We also took Claire to Toys R Us to see the toys. We told her that after she did 5 poops in her potty she could go back and pick out any toy she wanted (and we meant it!). We did the whole potty chart on the fridge with stickers, and as soon as she did five we went drove over an hour to the nearest Toys R Us to get a $18 doll. After that we kept charts on the fridge for every 10 and took her to the dollar store when it got full. I did like the honesty. One day I may confess my failings, but not today!
John's been getting on me for not going to the denist but paying for it for the last 2-3 years too! I'm totally throwing myself into panic attacks even thinking about how many cavities I know I have and how I don't want any sharp objects near my mouth.
Love you guys!
Btw, I love how your Mom is trying to bribe you with See's Chocolate to go to the denist! Oh how I miss our California days! (and your family!)
ok, i posted this on my blog, but you probably wont go to my comments for a response, so here ya go.
Shannon: if youre going to be here on a Saturday, that would be the best! if not, then anytime after 5. (and please keep in mind how so very noob i am at taking pictures of little people!)
Hey, I love the "keepin' it real" posts - quite humiliatingly, that's all I do... ;)
I wish you could see that you are the opposite of a mom that might screw up your kid or anything. I honestly marvel (and really, am jealous) that you can handle 2 men-children!
I think you're too hard on yourself - really, you're a great mama. :)
Thanks for all your guys' comments. I generally feel like I'm doing a decent job with my kids, but there are days (at least a couple a week) where I wonder if stuff I do or don't do is going to influence them to become something I don't want them to become. Anyway, I do appreciate your support. That's what blogging is all about right? I am calling the dentist as we speak.
You are AWESOME! I love that. I'm looking forward to the next few posts. I should try that too... oh and good for you for swimming and working out. I envy you. I just really need to work on motivating myself to sign up for a race. Because then I'll follow through.
i love the keeping it real blog. as an Ex-dental assistant, glad you finally called the dentist. mom and dad are starting to motivate themselves to get to the dentist and stuff like that. Lets all try to motivate each other. I have a HUGE to-do list of random things I want to do... now I just need to motivate myself to get stuff done.
Don't worry about the potty training thing. It will happen when it happens. All of my kids were 3 yrs old when they trained and they did it one day so it's ok..On the dentist note I hope you've made your appt and don't cancel!! It's really not that bad! :-)
Hey--my house isn't clean AND it isn't tidy. And I don't have kids as an excuse. So the fact that you can keep your house tidy at all is amazing to me. See you soon!
Shannon, you're awesome. And I know you mopped your bathroom floors after you posted this. haha, jk. You're a great mom. I have also felt a little intense with Makenzie lately. I've been reading the Love & Logic book for young children and it's sooo good. Dang, she's awake now. I wish I could leave her in a crib for an hour! haha
LOVE THIS POST!!! I love the idea of "keepin it real" post. So great! Probably because every reader feels similar or the same as you!!! And I don't like the dentist either. I think it has now been 4 years, so Ibeat you there! And we have insurance now too, so I have NO excuse. I just hope I can get my kids there (i am that bad). Good thing Tanner will have to go when he goes into Kindergarten next year. Thanks for such a fun fun post!
K, so we started potty training when I was pregnant and I had just read a book that said to praise your child's creation of poop all the time...never make them feel bad for pooping, even if it's not where you want. So then she pooped in her underwear and I went to put it in the potty and totally barfed all over it. So much for the praise. Then she cried and now we are in diapers, 6 months later. Good times :)
you are too funny!!! ice snob is awesome because I know exactly what ice you are talking about and I LOOOOOOVE it.
and mopping the floor is overrated.
Post a Comment