***Little background info, in the past, the ward activities committee has planned a chili cook-off dinner in October, but put the YM/YW in charge of the trunk or treat as a separate activity. This year the activities committee had the chili cook-off scheduled for the 30th of October with no plans to make it a Halloween party. My YW President convinced them to combine it, so the youth still did the games part of it.
Weston loved all the games and trunk or treating, but his favorite was just running laps around the cultural hall with Davin while everyone ate (I fed my kids before the party since there's no way they would eat chili). Here we are before the party. I dressed up as a Cheetah, sort of. Davin was a puppy and Weston was Mike Wozowski.
When it started getting dark Davin and I went home to relax and give out candy while Ian and Weston kept going. We didn't get as many trick or treaters as I though we would, but we almost got rid of all our giveaway candy. I was surprised though at how much candy we ended up with between the 2 kids! I consider it a successful Halloween.Sunday morning was kind of a bummer. Daylight Savings time is great in the Fall . . . if you don't have kids. Mine didn't get the memo that they could sleep in an extra hour, so they were up at 6:45. Oh well. The problem is that today they were up even earlier than that. What the?!? Hopefully they will settle into the new schedule soon. We had a busy Sunday. They reorganized the bishopric in our ward and Ian has a new calling. He is the 1st counselor in the bishopric. Pretty crazy.
So after the block he got ordained as a high priest and then set apart for his new calling. We are excited about the call. It will be good for our family. I'm sure I will have my moments of being annoyed that I don't have my husband to help me out with the kids during Sacrament meeting, but overall I know that it is a blessing.
I think life will be a little different from here on out. I'm sure I will be released from Young Women's pretty quickly, which will be bittersweet, but necessary. Today's the day to take down Halloween and put up Thanksgiving because it's November folks! Wow. This year is flying on by and I am loving this Fall holiday season!
16 comments:
looks like fun! halloween is always a good time. i am sad that i didnt get to try your chili though. :/
congrats to ian on his new calling! im sure your fam will be blessed. :)
Your boys look so cute in their costumes! Congrats to Ian on such a big calling! It is hard when the hubby is gone, but at least you get blessings for his service. Tim is EQ Pres and he is gone so much...sometimes it feels like another job, but we are blessed!
I Love that Pirate party at the museum! That looks super fun! I love the "Monsters" costume. I can't believe you husband is the 1st counselor! That's crazy! Next stop Bishop! :)
What a fun Halloween weekend! Your kids are so adorable in their costumes. Wow, what an adjustment as far as callings go...good luck!
Your boys looked SOOO stinkin cute in their costumes. Love it!! It sounded like such a great weekend. So so fun!
How exciting about Ian's new calling. Brian is in the Bishopbric in our ward and he has loved getting to work with our Bishop and it has been a neat experience for our family too. Being alone with the kids is not the funnest, but I am actually just now (over a year later) finally getting the hang of it. And if I do have to leave with one or more kids a young woman will come sit with my other child so that works too. As far as me getting to be lucky enough to be released, well, I am not that lucky. One year later and still the Primary president. But, it is a blessing at the same time too. I am excited for you guys!! Glad your whole weekend was so good. I love good weekends. :) And now on to a new week!
HOLY COW your kids look SOOO CUTE! I love the costumes!
Love all the cute costumes! You are one hot cheetah girl! Tell Ian congrats from the Henshaws on the new calling!
The dinosaur museum was a great outing for Halloween too!!!
Congrats to Ian on his new calling. And good luck! Eli's having to adjust to my new calling by taking care of Ivy for the last two hours of church, but I'm sure it's good for them both.
Sounds like you had a fun Halloween holiday. I have a chili recipe I make, but I'm going to give yours a try too. I love a good chili in the cold weather.
Good luck with the new calling, Ian. That's exciting. And so grown up :)
Shan,
This is a fabulous post. Full of delightful pictures (you make a gorgeous cat, btw), fun stories (like the smeared skull), and inspiring thoughts (service in callings is always humbling and bittersweet at the end). Thanks for sharing! You should also post pics of your new Thanksgiving decor, since I'm still not quite sure what I'll be doing. Perhaps I can steal-- ooh, I mean "borrow" (as if I'll give them back?)-- some of your ideas!
Whoa ho ho!! Bishopric?!?! Wow! How old are we again? It's definitely time to move! haha, no really, that's really cool. It will be a lot of sacrifice but definitely worth the blessings.
I love your costume, mami, ow ow!
K, talk to you soon!
oh those costumes are SO cute! I love the feet on Weston! and i love a good trunk-or-treat! (almost better than the real thing)
Yay for Ian! Wow.
Wasn't the weather great for Halloween. I was so grateful!
I love Davin's face when he is getting his face painted. He is seething with "I don't like this." :)
ANd yeah...we were up at 5 AM this morning. It has been a LONG day!
I love the boys costumes! That Thanksgiving point seems like such a cool place! I was surprised at how many trick-or-treaters we got. But I was excited, it'was really fun! I'm happy about this fall holiday too. I've been having fun with your pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe! So delicious!
The boys' costumes are so cute! Wow!! 1st counselor in the Bishopric?!?! How exciting! I'd probably be a little nervous about keeping the kids in line too! I'm sure you'll be fine though!
The look on Davin's face as he's getting it painted is hilarious! Your boys look adorable in their costumes!
Post a Comment