Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Home Sweet Home

This photo was taken on Monday afternoon during a rare moment of brotherly love.
It's been a few days since I posted. We have been keeping pretty busy. We are on the mend too! I'm feeling much better. Davin finished his antibiotics, so I sure hope he's feeling better. Weston's good to go. Ian has a cold, but is managing. Spring was in full force on Saturday with gorgeous sunny weather. We took the kiddos to the park around dinner time. It was packed, but we still had fun.

Yesterday we woke up to snow. Again. It was ok though because my parents stopped in for a quick visit! They went to Rexburg, ID to stay with my sister Melanie, but on their way back the spent Tuesday with us. We all went to the aquarium to see the penguins, then got lunch at Chick Fil A. By the time we got home Davin was more than ready for his nap. While the kids napped, Mom and I went to Macey's so that Mom could stock up on some food storage deals. When we got home it started snowing again. Crazy weather.

The rest of the afternoon we just hung around and played. The kids got read to. We played peekaboo with Davin. I made BBQ shredded beef sandwiches for dinner. They were yummy and easy! After the kids went to bed we played some Rumikub. Mom and Dad drove down to Provo after that to spend the night an hour closer to home. Today is their driving day, so hopefully it's going smoothly.
In other news, I am proud to announce that I bought my first ever rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club today! I have never de-boned a chicken and I'm not a fan of eating any kind of meat off the bone, so I usually stick with boneless skinless chicken breasts. I read an article about the ease of using a rotisserie chicken to start recipes on allrecipes.com the other day and wanted to try it. So I got the chicken home and just used my hands to peel off the skin, pull out the bones, and shred the meat. I was really surprised at how much meat there was! The bowl I got out for it wasn't big enough. I put enough for greek chicken pita sandwiches in the fridge, then froze the rest in 1 cup portions in ziplocs.

I have no idea if I did the right thing with the meat. Do you freeze it differently? Use it all? And most importantly. . .
What is your favorite recipe using rotisserie chicken?
I need some ideas!

9 comments:

lisa said...

spicy chicken tortilla soup. You put a couple cans of rotel (original), chunks of the rotisserie chicken, diced zucchini and squash, and mexican vegetable/tomato broth all together. top it with sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips. It's soo good.

Lynsey said...

I use those all the time. They are great for enchiladas, tostadas chicken salad sandwiches, tortilla soup, the list goes on.. I love them!

joyous said...

I usually carve up one of the breasts into several slices and serve it with potatoes or yummy rice the first night. Then I debone the rest. Yesterday, I had some leftover re-fried beans (half can) and some leftover chicken. I made up about 1/2 cup instant brown rice. I added some salsa and mixed it up. Then had yummy burritos for dinner. I loved that I used up so many leftovers. :)

Tasha said...

I am glad you are all starting to get better! And super glad you got a day with your parents. That is always nice! As far as routissori chicken . . . I LOOOOVE them. I use it for tortilla soup, enchiladas, chicken casseroles, chicken salad sandwiches...pretty much anything you put shreaded or cooked chicken in this kind makes it SOOO much better. The possibilities are endless. Yum. I love it! Have fun trying things.

Delia said...

Yum! I love those things. You freeze it just the same. I don't think there is a special way to do it anyway...?

Whole chickens can be a pain but you can put the bones and junk into a crockpot and boil it over night. Then strain out the "stuff" and you have chicken broth that is soooo yummy. Freeze this too if you want. OR if you are willing to leave the crock pot on for two days do that and the bones will almost dissolve. Mash the bones up and it makes a sort of gelatin which is supposed to be really good for you. You just freeze it in ice cube trays and add it to soups or whatever you are cooking. Or just freeze the whole batch and use it as broth.

I am so glad you guys are on the mend.

J, J and B said...

I use this website regularly.
I just tried this recipe last week:

http://www.rookie-cookie.com/2008/04/penne-with-chicken-sun-dried-tomatoes.html

It's not super simple, but it's so good!

Tara said...

We buy those rotisserie chickens from Sam's all the time, they are such a good deal and delicious!
We usually just eat them with mashed potatoes and veggies b/c they are so moist and flavorful, we don't like to disguise it with anything. But I have made chicken noodle soup with one before and that was really good, and I have a chicken cordon bleu casserole that uses it with ham that is super good too (only casserole I will eat these days).
Btw, Makenzie is nuts about the drumsticks and I do cringe popping them off, ick.

Lana said...

I love that shot of your boys- so sweet. And I'm impressed with the rotisserie chicken- I still can't even touch raw chicken tenderloins cuz I get grossed out. What a wimp, huh? And I have got to take Max to check out the aquarium and those penguins- it seems like everyone has been talking about cool they are. Maybe we'll bump into you guys sometime- it sounds like you have a pass.

Liz Smith said...

jared and i love rotisserie chickens. when i buy them i just serve that as our main dish and add some rolls and salad or mashed potatoes, etc. mmmm...delicious.

im so sorry it's you've still had to deal with snow. i feel your pain. usually we're the same, but we've been so fortunate this year and have been having a gorgeous spring and i am trying to enjoy every second of it. I guess that's the good thing about living somewhere with long, crappy winters...you learn to appreciate beautiful weather. I hope spring arrives there to stay soon!