Christmas Eve was a pretty relaxed day. I was still moving slowly and needed at least one nap. I ran to Sam's Club first thing in the morning to get a ham. They were sold out of the boneless spiral sliced one I usually get, so we got a carving ham. It looked like a big flat slab of meat, but the meat department lady told me it cooks easily and tastes good, so there you go. The rest of the day we just hung out and rested. The boys all played some Christmas Eve Mario Kart. We watched Miracle on 34th street in the afternoon then started getting ready for dinner.
Our traditional chicken scampi dinner is a lot of work, but this year I had helpers! Ian cut all the chicken for me. Weston was my egg man this year. He jokingly (I think) whined about how gross his job was the whole time, but I had a lot of fun making scampi with him. He was already planning which of his siblings could take over the gross egg job next year. :) We just did chicken scampi with linguine and salad for dinner. I wasn't sure if I was up for getting out the china, but Ian convinced me (and helped me) so we did. I was glad. It felt so fancy and festive. This was the first year the boys got to use crystal goblets too. They loved it.
Dinner was wonderful. After dinner we opened one present. Everyone got new jammies. Getting a picture of all four kids in their new jammies was quite the feat. Once everyone was ready for bed we gathered around the fire (or Fireplace for Your Home on Netflix if you're like us and don't have a real fireplace) to read the Christmas story from Luke. We talked a little about the story and the logistics of baby Jesus being born in a barn (the noise, the smell, the dirt, etc.). We all sang Silent Night Lullaby and had family prayer before we read a last Christmas book and sent the kids to bed.
It took about an hour to clean up the kitchen and wash all the dishes. Then we attended to some other last minute Christmas preparations. I got to bed a little later than planned, but still had trouble falling asleep. I'm such a kid. I get so excited for Christmas.
At 4am Davin woke me up and said he was starving and couldn't go back to sleep unless he ate something. I sent him back to his room and ran downstairs to get a box of Wheat Thins. I gave them to him in bed and told him to eat what he wanted and then go back to sleep. When I went downstairs to get the crackers though I cracked open my eyes just enough to see this massive present next to the tree. It wasn't there when I went to bed and I was pretty sure I knew what Ian had gotten me for Christmas. I layed awake for about an hour thinking about what it could possibly be. Oh the fun of Christmas Eve!






1 comment:
Your Christmas Eve sounds perfect. . . love that Weston was your egg helper. You'll have to tell him he has a few more years in the egg department until he can be promoted!!
Post a Comment