I am currently serving as the first counselor in the Relief Society presidency in our ward. A few weeks ago we put on a holiday dinner for all of the sisters in the ward. It was kind of stressful planning it all out and gathering everything (and I wasn't even the one in charge!), but it came together so beautifully. The theme was Angels Among Us. The church was decorated with lots of white lights, gold and silver centerpieces, white feathers, and Christmas trees. I was so impressed with how amazing it looked. I wish I'd thought to take pictures of the hall all decorated.
We served turkey, baked potatoes, salad and rolls for dinner with pies and cookies for dessert. It was my first time cooking a turkey and I was worried because the turkey was still pretty frozen when I needed to start roasting it, but I used an oven bag and it was done in plenty of time. As people gathered we had a mingle activity to get everyone chatting and interacting with each other. Then we ate. After dinner was the program. It was pretty low key and simple.
My turkey after it was carved, which I also did myself. Just sayin.
A couple of weeks before the dinner we asked the sisters to write down a time in their life when someone else had been an angel for them. We called these Angel Stories. The Angel Stories we received were all printed up on pretty gold edged card stock and hung on a mini Christmas tree. We all took a story off the tree to read aloud. It was so neat to hear everyone's stories of how other women had made such big differences in their lives. Most of them weren't a huge major deal, but stories of neighbors bringing dinner when it was really needed or visiting at a crucial time. Friends helping with childcare or during an illness. These small things are what really make a difference. It brought home the fact that each of us has been on the receiving end of these angelic kindnesses and how simple it can be to be an angel for someone else. The rest of the presidency and myself sang a pretty song called "My Sister's Hands" to close up the program.
I thought it went really well. Everyone stayed for awhile to eat dessert and chat. I made these pretty favors for everyone to take home (and take to their neighbors or visiting teachees!) with the theme from the evening and a scripture.
I am glad that our big event is done and that it came together so wonderfully. I am thankful for Relief Society and the opportunities it gives me to be connected to so many amazing women and to serve them.

No comments:
Post a Comment