Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Good Mommy Days

Some days are rough mommy days. I'm grouchy, the kids are grouchy, no one does anything willingly, the kids fight, I get nothing done, the house is a mess, the TV is on all day. You get the idea. Then every once in awhile I have good mommy days. I love these days. We do fun things, the kids get along, we all work together and have a good attitude, the housework gets done, the TV is not on all day, I spend more time engaged with the kids. There are plenty of in between days too, but I had to to document a Good Mommy Day. 

It was a Tuesday. Nothing special. I got up and dropped the boys off at summer camp then headed back home. I worked out on the elliptical in the basement while Talia and Beckett played. I got a shower while the kids watched a show. After my shower we really didn't have any plans for the rest of the morning, so I let Talia choose an outing. She predictably chose to go to McDonalds and play on the play place. I said yes. Everyone was happy.
We had fun at McDonald's. Talia and Beckett both actually ate food. No one cried or fussed. Talia got a toy and was so super excited it was a dolphin. She gave herself a french fry mustache. We left just in time to go pick up boys from summer camp. They had had a fun day and didn't complain at all that I had taken the little ones to McDonalds without them.

We went home and Talia and Beckett both napped. Ahh bliss. I don't remember what all I did during nap time, but it was quiet and the boys happily played some Wii then headed to the basement to play Lego's. I probably read a book and maybe cleaned up the kitchen.

After nap time we got out the finger paints. Everyone had fun with them. Then kids washed their hands and worked together to empty the dishwasher. Weston was patient with his "helpers" and they were happy to feel needed and important. I was just happy the job was getting done. :)
Ian came home for dinner and afterwards we all walked over to the little park. When we got there the sprinklers were on. The kids couldn't help themselves and ran around and got soaked. They loved it. There were three or four other families we knew there so we got some adult social time in while the kids played.
That night the kids had baths and showers and read books and went to bed. It was a Good Mommy Day. :) I know I will miss days like this all too soon.

1 comment:

Lana said...

Shannon, I loved this post and I can totally relate. I'm new to the whole "stay at home mom gig" and it's been good, interesting, challenging, fun, frustrating, and exhausting at different times. You're totally right, sometimes the TV is on all day and the kids fight and other days are "good mommy days". All I know is we give it our best as moms and love our kids and pray that it's enough :)