Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Experiment Continues . . .

Pretty much, if you're not interested in toddler potty training don't bother reading my next few posts. Yesterday was day #2. Weston didn't do quite as well, but still made some progress. He had an accident while playing outside, even though I had asked him if he needed to go potty like 3 minutes before. Oh well, I can only do so much. He has to learn that HE has to get himself in the house and on the potty. So that was a bummer because he was doing so well. Then right before his nap he decided he had to poop. Instead of telling me and going and trying on the potty, he did his usual thing and hid behind the armchair in the den. I didn't realize he was pooping, so missed the incident until he came to tell me. That's one way to get me to mop the kitchen and scrub the kitchen sink and counters with bleach. Anyway, it was disgusting. The rest of the day he did great. He even woke up dry this morning and peed in the potty. We are going for zero accidents today! Any tips?

On another note, as many of you know BYU's football season starts this Saturday . . . this one's for Ian and Jim (my father-in-law). Love you guys and GO COUGS!

***1:30pm: Weston is having a hard time today. Our goal of no accidents was thrown out the window around 11am and he has had 2 accidents in a row. He even told me he wanted to pee on the floor. Lucky for me they were both on non-carpet surfaces. I'm just frustrated. We may keep a pull-up on this afternoon post nap, but still take mandatory trips to the potty every half hour. I'm pretty close to running out the door screaming, crying and laughing my head off (aka, I'm going slightly crazy).

10 comments:

Beth said...

Here is my tip on potty training...Heather was in and out of the hospital up until she was 3 so potty training was almost impossible. She could speak perfectly by the time she was 3 but would still hide in the closet when she needed to go. I tried buyer her lacey big girl panties telling her she didn't want to get them dirty. Well she never did but she never used the toilet either. I couldn't figure out how she could hold it all day until I found her squatting in the flower bed. I thought if you can do that you can use the toilet! (My sister who has 5 boys bought them under-roos with batman or superman on them and told them not to pee on Superman)I found a book called Toilet training in less the 24 hours. I tried one of the suggestions and it was all it took. You get a doll that drinks a bottle and then pees. You have y our child teach the doll how to pee in the toilet. You even have the child touch the pee (water) coming out of the doll that going into the toilet. You then praise the doll and child for going pee in the toilet. After Heather did this something clicked for her... no more pooping in the flower bed!
Goodluck!

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

Hang in there! This too shall pass :) (No pun intended) Don't expect too much too soon. It's all a matter of timing - it will click when he's ready & able to make his brain do what his body is ready to do.

My mother-in-law has always maintained that her kids were potty trained at a year. R-I-G-H-T. Makes me laugh because most sane people know which person was really trained!

You're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Well, he won't go to kindergarten in diapers :-) So know it will eventually happen. I don't know if I told I bought the book "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" for Joy. We had the doll and the potty chair and the juice. By the end of the day she was on her bed crying and I was in rocking in the rocking chair (almost) crying when my friend, Dianne Scott, Rebecca's mom, came by. It was all she could do not to laugh her head off. But as you know, Joy is potty trained this day, so she's a success story and so will Weston be one of these days. . . just maybe not today;-) Hang in there.

AllisonDacia said...

I helped potty train the little girl I used to watch. I had an egg timer that I set to every 20 minutes. She would have to sit the potty each time. She had a few accidents the first few days, but was 90% by one week and 99% by 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Tasha said...

I really am NOT kidding when I say this is LONG road. I think boys are seriously just tuff. (not all, but MAJORITY!) I cannot tell you the experiences my friends with boys have. Lets just talk about Tanner. This week (at age 4 and being potty trained for OVER a YEAR) had 2 accidents (maybe more). I am just determined it takes a LONG TIME for this. Now, for me I have been lucky because the pooping accidents were few and far between. That did not take long until he found that was discusting himself. But Cass on the other hand can tell you a whole nother story with Colin. He was having horrible pooping accidents for probably 6 months to a year! I am just going to be honest, accidents are now just part of life for the next year or two. I hear this beautiful easy stories from my friends with girls on how well they did and I just want to cry with jealousy. But, my friends with boys out of all of us I only know 1 that did well and really had no accidents (and most of my friends have boys), so there you go. Good luck, good luck, good luck!!! I really DO NOT like potty training and only dread doing it with Brayden. But, like your Mom said. Kids are potty trained when they go to Kindergarten. So, at some point they do get it. Until then I really do feel for you. It tiring and a long road. Keep hanging in there. It does get better and the accidents get further and further apart. It just takes a lot of time and patiance. A good idea is to just have extra underwear and shorts in your car at ALL times along with plastic bags to put their clothes they had their accident in. Oh, I feel for you! Hang in there!

PS and do not take it out on yourself. It is not you . . . it is just part of potty training!

Tasha said...

PPS and don't take it as sexist, but really boys are different than girls. What works for girls a lot of time do not work for boys. Plus, I really think the big thing with boys are they are distracted and just don't want to go use the toilet. But, that is my theory. Oh, keep hanging in there!

Tasha said...

PPPS and GO COUGARS!!!!! We are excited at this house too!!!!

Amanda said...

Shannon--I feel for you! We just went through potty training with Kallie. She initiated it all--but then totally ignored the process. I was cleaning poopy pants at least twice a day. I hated life and decided I was going to put her back in diapers until she was ready for panties. That was the key for her. She did NOT want to wear diapers--so she used the potty instead.

I remember being SOOOO frustrated at the time. It's especially hard because you feel like you're going to be cleaning out accident pants for the rest of your life!

In the end, I learned that Kallie was just going to do what she was going to do--and not a minute before she was ready. I remember my mom telling me that her easiest child to potty train was my younger brother because she waited until he was 3. She bought him a potty, showed him what to do, and he had one accident, (including naps and bedtime). Now that Kallie is 3, I have found she gets it SO much more. She's had an accident here or there, but has learned she prefers to feel clean.

Anyway--hang in there! Most high schoolers are potty trained. ;)

Natalie said...

Well, I have been known as "the potty training nazi" at least 3 times in my life. (Since I have 3 boys.) One thing I do know is that it is one of the most frustrating, tiring, crying, want to scream and then laugh at yourself for being out of control times as a mother....but it does pass. My only advice at the moment is to not give up because you think he isn't ready. You have come too far. It is terrible for a couple of days and then all of a sudden, he is mostly dry. Some things I have tried...(each boy needed a little something different.)
1. a pull-up on the outside of the underwear. This lets them feel wet and gross, but you don't have to clean the floor and all clothes every time.
2. portable dvd player and books in the bathroom. These made them sit there long enough to actually have a shot at making it.
3. candy and underwear bribes...sounds like you have mastered that one...I used a bigger treat for the poops because I was that much more thankful I didn't have to clean that up. (I used mini candy bars, my friend used mini jars of play-dough)
4. If he had an accident outside, he couldn't play outside again until he had a success.
5. Don't give up. Eventually he will be trained, and you will be the MASTER who people ask for advice.

The Curnow Family said...

haha No Advise here... but I feel you're pain/grossness of cleaning up poop off a butt, thighs, and wherever else it might have convinently placed itself.. blah. love you and keep it up!