Monday, August 18, 2008

More Firsts and Park Adventures

I think I have sufficiently recovered from all our fun times with my family now. On Friday night we decided to take a picnic to Murray park and let Davin try out the swing for the first time. We would have done it at our local park, but the "baby" swing there is just a chain on one side and I am way too paranoid that he is going to fall. We had a blast at the park and really enjoyed having a little family time. Saturday we couldn't just sit home, right? I met up with Dawnie and we went and saw "Mamma Mia" (which was great and made me sad that we were in a theater where accepted social norms would frown on my dancing in the aisles) while Wynn and Ian watched the boys. Then we all had dinner together and stayed up WAY too late watching movies and visiting. It was a very late night and I am still pretty tired from it. I'm trying to avoid napping though since I sleep worse if I nap.

Also, I am back in the swing of swimming. Unfortunately the long course (50 meter) season is over and the pool is back to short course (25 yards, standard high school competition length). I miss the long course because it means fewer flip turns. Oh well. It is nice to be more consistent again. A friend in my ward joined the class too, which is kind of fun. One more person to swim with, even if he is more focused on training for a triathlon than on enjoying adult/girly chats during set breaks, like me and the other girls I swim with. :)

I am still steadily making my way through Breaking Dawn and trying not to make it end too quickly. It is so much fun to read though! Today I am relishing a little normal routine without too much going on. Unfortunately we will miss Ian since he is working late. The boys and I went grocery shopping this morning and we got all the "fixings" to start potty training Weston next week (underwear, Pull-Ups, candy . . .). If anyone has any succinct potty training advice, please leave it in my comments. I'm pretty nervous, mostly because I don't particularly enjoy cleaning up excrement. I'm hoping he'll be a miracle boy toddler and pick it up really quick. The plan is to give him a full week of staying close to the potty and using it as often as possible and if he is still not even getting it then we will put it on hold until he is 3. Anyway, look forward to the Potty Training series posts next week.

While my mom was here we fed Davin his first rice cereal. He was amazingly good at eating from a spoon and swallowing the new texture for a newbie. Since that first feeding he hasn't been as thrilled with eating cereal, but we're persevering.
On Thursday evening we went to our local park and decided Davin is big enough to go in the umbrella stroller. He seemed to love it, but got tired more quickly since he had to hold himself up a bit more than normal. What a cutie!
Davin's joyous grin during his first go on the swings.
Davin on the swings with Weston pushing.
Me manning the controls of the stroller at Murray Park on Friday night.
Ian and Weston feeding the ducks at the park. There were like 25 ducks! Weston didn't eat enough of his dinner though because he kept eating the duck's bread. Oh well.Playtime with Daddy.
My little monkey.

7 comments:

heather said...

okay, i thought weston was the one who looked JUST like you, until i saw little davin smiling so big on the swings! (what a fun 1st!)

Dawnie said...

I'm still recovering from that late Saturday night too. But... I had an AWESOME time! Next time we do that we'll just make sure it doesn't go too late. And we will make sure the guys don't just sit on their butts waiting for us and then sit on their butts when we get home and make them dinner ;) I LOVE those pictures of Davin!!! He is getting so cute and fun. I get afraid sometimes that when I see him he won't smile at me anymore, but he never fails to impress! Let me know how Breaking Dawn is going by the way. I'm still sad that my friend has my copy of Twilight. I want to hang out with her just so I can get it back. Just kidding, I want to hang out with her for fun, but that's not the only reason ;) Call me!

sara said...

Awesome pictures! I love the one of Davin smiling in the swing. It's so cute. It looks like you had a great family day in the park. And thanks for the message on my blog! I'm excited to be pregnant but more excited to start feeling better one of these days! I'll keep you posted on how things go :)

Tara said...

Those swing pics are precious. Dun dun dun... potty training! haha, I guess my only expert advice is just let him go with no underwear/pants at all. That worked for Kenz and Justin's sister's little boy. If she wore underwear, she would wet them, but she realized she would wet the floor if she didn't have anything on. I bet Weston will catch on quickly, he is one of the smartest kids ever. Good luck!!

Glen & Kat said...

Those pics of Davin are SO CUTE! I love his big smile. Good luck with potty training.

Emilee said...

I've obviously never potty trained a toddler before, but I have a friend who has her kids go naked on bottom for the first few days of potty training. They're not used to knowing when they need to go and if they're half naked, they feel the trickle as it starts and can learn to know their own body's signals quicker. Good luck!

Tasha said...

So fun!! You are so adventuresome. I would have to say that potty training is NO fun. Just plan on that. I waited until Tanner was 3 though because of advise from friends with boys. Girls potty train MUCH faster and earlier than boys. Boys have a harder time with it. So, just be prepared for that. Like Joy's girls potty train much sooner than you should expect Weston to. But, I have also heard some stories of boys picking it up earlier and doing just fine. So, prepare yourself for either way. I just kept tanner in only underwear and a shirt for a few days so it was easy to pull down to use the bathroom. Good luck to you!!!