Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Shannon-25 years old . . . perfect Mom? Hardly.

Weston-2 1/2 years old . . . perfect child? Hardly.
Davin-5 months old . . .perfect child? Practically.
These have to be the most adorable, sweet children you've even seen, right? Oh wait, one of them is 2. I am having such a hard time being a happy, pleasant mommy with my Weston. He drives me absolutely crazy about 85% of the time. I am grinding my teeth, my blood pressure is spiking and, if I wasn't so sensitive about my already thin hair, I would be ripping it out. I just don't know what to do with him. I try to keep us busy (as you may have noticed) so that Weston doesn't have as much of a chance to make me nuts, but it doesn't really work. He is at this stage where he is ungrateful, disobedient and laughingly does exactly what I just told him not to do. Every time I give him a punishment or even speak sternly he starts crying and freaking out and saying "I want to be nice." It's like it's almost not worth his reaction to call him on his crap. I still do.

I have been trying to drill into his head that even if he wants to be nice now, he wasn't acting nice before and he still has to deal with the consequences of that. EXAMPLE: Walmart with 2 kids. We had the big cart with a place for Weston to sit. I told him if he could be good (not get out of the cart, not touch stuff, not whine) then when we were done he could play in "Elmo's car". Well I had to scold him the whole trip and remind him about the bribe. At the end he did pretty good, but I decided I couldn't let him have the reward because he was too much of a brat for most of the trip. He screamed and cried when I told him the verdict.
As it turns out I forgot one bag at Walmart and we ended up going back to pick it up and because he did really well with that little aside, he still got a ride in Elmo's car that day. Does that negate the earlier lesson?

I'm pretty much at a loss of how to get through my day without completely losing it. Another joy about Weston is that he is a TALKER. I realize you are probably thinking, "Well look at his mom. She talks all the time." I realize this, but he is incapable of being quiet for more than 5.3 seconds unless he is sleeping or pooping. Even while eating he talks non-stop (and consequently doesn't eat more than would feed your average mouse). Today we had nowhere to go this morning and I was planning on taking him to the park for free lunch, but he said he didn't want to go, so we stayed home. By 10:30 I was contemplating leaving Weston on someones porch with a sign that said "FREE." Anyway, any suggestions would be welcome, or even just a phone call in the middle of the day to distract me from my crazy mommy moods. :)

Davin is a great baby. Very happy and content to just observe and babble. He LOVES Weston and thinks everything he does is great. Davin is my favorite child right now because he doesn't talk. He would be perfect if he could just start sleeping through the night already.

In other news I am trying to get my life together in other ways, thinking that maybe this will help me during the day with the kids. I have started getting up early every day to exercise and read my scriptures before the kidlet bombards me and destroys any quiet time I may have. So far, besides being kind of tired, it is working out great. I really am a morning person and I enjoy being up before anyone else and having that peaceful time. Sorry if this post struck you as pessimistic. I'm really not all that depressed. When Weston is being cooperative we are fine and I'm not such a nutcase.

10 comments:

Monica said...

haha!! you are so funny! I loved reading your post...unfortunately, I don't have any advice...yet!! Guess I'll have to wait for my turn when Evan hits those "Terrible Two's"! Good luck! Your kids are too cute though! ;-)

sara said...

Oh no Shannon! I'm so sorry. I would be going nuts too. I wish I had advice to give you but just hang in there. Hopefully he'll get through this stage quickly. I love you! Good luck.

monique said...

awww Shannon! I'm tired just reading about your days so I can't imagine how you must feel. It sounds like you're doing the best you can and basically going through it day by day is all you can do.
I hope Weston starts to mellow out soon!!
Davin is so photogenic!

joyous said...

I'm right there with you with my oldest child as well. Yesterday was particularly rough. It doesn't help being tired from nitetime feedings either. Good luck....if you find any good ideas, please pass them on.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's coming off of too much spoiled Grandma time?? Sorry!! My best advice is keep doing what you're doing and keep distracting yourself with outings etc. and one day he'll outgrow this stage. . . and then Davin will be two. Oh well, it's not perfect advice, but it got me through :-)

Anonymous said...

I think you should put Weston in a box and ship him to Grandpa Bob!
Love you all
Grandpa Bob

Glen & Kat said...

Supposedly they grow out of those stages, but who really knows? So sorry. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.

I'm glad you're getting some 'you' time in the mornings. I think it makes such a difference (at least it does to me). Exercise & spiritual time in the morning and chocolate at night--that's the key to sanity :)

Tasha said...

Shannon you are SOOO not alone. This is TOTALLY normal. SERIOUSLY. Your practically perfect Davin will turn into the tuff Weston some day. But, good news. . .it does get better! I cannot say that 3 is better, but it does get better. They still drive us nuts in other ways as they get older, but it definatly does improve (or changes). You just have to play tuff Mommy and punish even when they take it so hard (just like you say you do . . . and just be grateful your little boy feels bad. Tanner did not take me seriously for a long time) . . .and even though punishing is hard (I have a really hard time with it) it is well worth it in the end because they do learn what they can and cannot get away with. Tanner now even knows that Dad can often be softer than Mom. But, we are all happier when they listen. (It does take a while for them to really get it too. So don't get discouraged too soon.) It is just a long tuff road. You can do it though. You are such a good Mom. Outtings are so good because they do get the energy out of these guys and they get to be social with others too during some of them. Seriously, I am always learning from you. Keep it up. 2 is harder than 1, but don't worry when you get your next 2 year old you will know it is just a stage and I think it will be a little easier. Good luck!! You are awesome. Do you have a verizon cell phone by any chance? I would call you for some good Mommy chat time if you have a verizon cell phone. I love you . . . keep hanging in there. (For me being a Mom can just be SOO hard sometimes and I definatly don't think of me as the best mom out there. but, we are all learning right?)

The Curnow Family said...

ha oh shannon! you're so funny! I can't wait to come see you again and I think brad and I are planning a trip soon! so hurray! LOVE YOU!!

Amanda said...

I realize this is an older post, but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway. :) I have experienced what you're describing and it is SO frustrating! The good news is that it DOES get better, though.

The one recommendation I have is what someone recommended to me when Kallie started hitting the "Terrible Twos." It's a book called "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood" and it's all about how to teach them respect for you and other people. I don't follow everything in the book to the T, but there have been so many parts of it that have helped that I always tell people about it.

I hope things calm down for you soon!