I hope that the collective "we" (I didn't actually vote for Obama, but still) have made a good choice and that Obama really is capable of bringing about some positive change for our nation. I have my doubts, but I am still hopeful that things will be better in 4 years than they are now.So, as you know, I haven't been quite feeling myself lately. A little depressed, burnt out and blah. I have been trying to think about all the things I am grateful for to put my life into perspective, and with Thanksgiving just around the corner, now is the perfect time.
First of all, I am grateful for these two little nutters.
I am thankful for Ian. I get so excited every day for him to come home. That wait from 4 o'clock (after naptime) until 6ish is the hardest part of the day. I'm glad that we really like each other and have fun together.
I am thankful for my house. Yay for living in a house and not an apartment. We have 3 bedrooms, a garage and a backyard. Yes, I want to move into a newer, bigger house, but I really love the one we have.
I am grateful for our car. I would say carS, but Ian's is recently out of commission, so now we are down to one.
I am thankful that we have good friends and that one of them works at the same company as Ian, so they can carpool most days. I don't like being completely housebound.
I am thankful for my awesome swim class, buddies and coach and that it is so close to my house.
Lastly, I am grateful for allrecipes.com for supplying me with this recipe I have made 4 times in the last 2 months. I love cookies.
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
15ish ounces of pumpkin (one small can or half of one big can)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice**
1/4-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
4 c. flour
1 bag milk chocolate chips
Combine all ingredients in order and mix well. Spoon generously onto greased cookie sheets and bake at 375 for 11-12 minutes. This recipe makes about 5 or 6 dozen and the cookies taste amazing warm and even better the next day. Not sure why. Enjoy! We certainly have/are.
**My own addition. If you don't have it they will probably turn out fine.
What are you grateful for today?
10 comments:
You're awesome Shannon! I have those moments in my life where I get down and depressed! I think it just comes with being a mom. It's good that you can look at the good things in life, instead of dwell on the hard things. Not many people can do that!
WOW... Can you say yum?!?! So, to add to that awesome cookie in between the cookies add some cream cheese frosting. A lady at work did that.. can you say Bomb?! I love thanksgiving and appartently Brad LOVES Thanksgiving, I had no idea.
This is such a sweet post. I hope you feel better soon...
What am I grateful for??? Hmmm...I think it's like you say, my kids are my world. Sometimes it's overwhelming, but mostly it's wonderful. Those cookies do look quite yummy. I'll definitely have to try those.
Right now I'm grateful for chocolate...it's what has kept me going through these last couple days!
I am grateful for Shannon's therapeutic posts. You know that we all feel like you do, right? I'm glad you're focusing on the positive, I will try to, too. You know what would make you feel better? Getting a pass to the children's museum so you can come with me. I think Sheena's getting one, too. It really is awesome. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to pay once. But a 6 month pass is $65 for a family of 4, and I plan on going once a week. That's worth it, Kenz and Jarom have never been so entertained/fascinated/curious/engaged... you get it. It's cool, Weston would love it.
By the way, are you guys going out of town for Thanksgiving? I'm trying to plan Kenz's bday party. Her bday is the day after Thanksgiving and I'm thinking that may not be a good day to celebrate.
thanks for the birthday wish! those cookies look amazing!
Way to be looking at the positive side! I maybe I need to start a thankful list to keep myself going too. It is amazing when we look at the bright side of things how much easier other things become. :)
What a good post. Hope you feel more cheerful soon.
mmm, those cookies look yummy. I think I might have to make them. Last night I finally made those honey lime enchiladas and Glen raved about them. He also is in love with your pumpkin cake recipe (I've already made it twice and we're having it again next week--crazy I know). So maybe this will be another winner from you :) I'm grateful for you and all your yummy recipes and for the fall when baking seems like something that you have to do! Good luck tomorrow!
I'm grateful for blogs.. so I can keep up with old friends!
Post a Comment