Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

This Thanksgiving marked a special occasion--I made my first pie. Ever. I know, you all think I'm such a domestic goddess and yet I've never even made a pie. Well, now I have and you can hang onto your assumptions about my amazingness. Anyway, I was actually really nervous about making pie. Luckily, my sister in law was staying with us and she is a Family Consumer Science (aka Home Ec) major, so she supervised and gave me tips, but I really did do the whole thing myself. It turned out great! It looked fairly pretty and tasted fabulous. I was very proud of myself. Here I am in all my domestic glory.
I also made a green bean casserole for the first time. It was also very tasty. So, I spent all morning cooking and I didn't even remotely have to do the whole dinner. I'm not really looking forward to the day when I will have to do all the cooking and host the big dinner at my house.

We went to my Auntie Barbara's house for Thanksgiving. It was beautiful with TONS of great food. We are so incredibly blessed. It was fun to visit with family and to be together. Here's our little clan.
Weston literally ate half of that roll and that is all. The next day he asked when we were going to have Thanksgiving. I was like, "it was yesterday, remember? You didn't eat anything." He didn't quite get the whole idea of the holiday. Weston was buddies with his cousin, Emily, most of the afternoon. They sat together for dinner. This is the best picture I got of him all night.
Weston got a little hyper after we had been there for a couple hours and decided to clomp around in Daddy's shoes. He thought he was hilarious. It was actually really amusing.
We had a nice Thanksgiving and enjoyed having Aunt Aly with us for the last week. She was so helpful with the boys and keeping me company and running errands, etc. I am so excited that it is officially Christmas time. I am in the full swing of listening to Christmas music and in the process of decorating today. Ian is outside putting up lights and last night we watched The Grinch. I love Christmas and am looking forward to this entire month with baking, picking a Christmas tree, wrapping presents, lighting candles, singing my favorite Christmas songs, and the general good will that seems more prevalent at this time of year. I hope everyone is catching the holiday spirit too!

On a final, completely non-holiday note, Weston is almost officially a big kid. He started pooping in the potty several times in a row this past week and keeping his pull up dry. Today he is in underwear and no accidents thus far. I am SO happy that we are nearing the potty training finish line with him. I have no idea what suddenly made it click for him, but I am happy it did.

12 comments:

Jared said...

Good for you. That pie looks really good!

Mel said...

amazing pie! good job at swimming! you guys guys are so busy!..can we play this next week? what day is good for you guys?....thursday?....call me! :)

Amanda said...

The pie is beautiful! And, YAY for the end of potty training! Whitney's starting into that phase and Ryan and I are DREADING doing it for the second time.

The Curnow Family said...

ha I think it's so funny that weston never eats! ha You're pie looks awesome... I cheated on pie, I bought the Sara Lee ones.. which weren't too bad!!

Emilee said...

Good job on the pie. I "made" a pumpkin pie too. Which means my friend made a pie while I supposedly helped.

sara said...

Fun you went to Auntie B's house! It sounded like you had a fabulous time. And I'm glad you made a pumpkin pie. I made one again the other night just to eat. They are so good AND not very hard. :) Yours looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you and your pumpkin pie. I made two pies this year. I sent some home with Joy and Jim since they are the only ones besides me that will eat it and I'm the only one who had a piece of it on Thanksgiving day. We had a great weekend. The American Girl store was so much fun. Did I tell you they are retiring the Samantha doll :-( We managed to even get Christmas all up and decorated (quite a job with three little Henshaws running around)and the tree is up in the house. Lizzie was Grandpa's little helper with the lights all day. The top strand of lights on the tree burned out so Dad will need to buy some tomorrow and I think I'll wait until Wednesday to decorate it and have Jules pitch in. I think I'm ready to face my December!! I have journals to grade this week and grades due, with a R.S. Board dinner party to put on Thursday, a Prop 8 finance comm. dinner party, the first SCCC performance and Aunt Chris' Christmas party for Tate with Stake Conference (singing with the choir) through for good measure. Enjoy your holiday season. Look in the mail for a surprise from Grandma and Grandpa for Weston and Davin (Christmas countdown. . .we'll be a few days late!)

joyous said...

Good work on your pie!! No cracks...I'm super impressed. I'm glad you guys had a fun dinner with Auntie B. Your Weston is a funny guy. I'm glad you're having fun getting your house ready for Christmas. We're a little behind because we weren't home all weekend, but we started catching up today. The good news is that I did get some shopping done....yea!!


Also, congrats to Weston for pooping in the potty!! And a big WAHOO for no more pull ups!!!

Katie said...

i'm a fan of christmas-time too. this is the best time of year. i'm impressed with your pie baking skills! maybe i'll try one out for christmas.

Kim said...

Congrats on the pie. I have never cooked a turkey, pie etc. So your ahead of me :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for talking to me on the blog :). I will be in the Ute land from late on the 25th through the 4th. I will be in Sandy most of the time, then the last Friday and weekend probably at an uncle's in Alpine. Lis is supposedly only in town after New Years. Me you and Tara should do something. I can bring my sister's baby and pretend like she is my daughter to match you guys. We could have a cutest baby contest.

Oh and congrats on the first pie!

Glen & Kat said...

How sad that you've never had pumpkin pie before this year...but that pie looks pretty darn amazing. Glen had me make that pumpkin pie cake instead of pumpkin pie. It's close, but not the same, so I think this is the first year ever that I haven't had real pumpkin pie. And I'm glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving.