Saturday, November 15, 2008

Swimmer's High

Today was the big day: my first Master's swim meet. I haven't swam competitively in a meet since my Junior year of high school, 8+ years ago. I was a little nervous and really excited. We got a slow start to the morning and left a little bit late only to get almost to the freeway and realize that we forgot Davin's bottle and the camera. So we got there a little later than planned, but the meet was running a little late too, so it was fine. I got in and warmed up and practiced starts to make sure my new goggles would stay on.

I swam in the second event, the 50 backstroke. This was MY event in high school. I was second in our league in high school in this event. It went great. I felt good, and my time was about what I was expecting. I swam it in 42 seconds. In high school I swam it in about 35, but hey, it's been awhile, so I thought 42 was pretty good.

I had a short break then I swam my second event, the 100 IM (one lap each of fly, back, breast and free). I had never raced this event before, so I had no idea what to expect. It went ok. I think I could have done it faster, but I was pretty happy with my time of 1:33. They were experiencing some computer issues, so we all ended up having to get up on the blocks and back down twice before we finally got started. Here is a pic of me waiting to get up and take my mark, then of me diving in. I am in the blue suit in the middle (right under the diving board. The 100 IM was a fun race and I will definitely do it again.
Ian and the boys came to cheer me on. They were amazing and stuck it out, staying until the end. It ran a little long. We got there at 8:15 and didn't leave until almost 1pm. Ian stayed with the little men while I swam and hung out on deck with my team buddies. Here is my wonderful, supportive hubby. Love him!
This is my cheering section. Davin was more interested in eating the sign than cheering, really, but he was certainly cute. Weston made friends with the other kids, ate snacks and listened to daddy's ipod. Davin just hung out and watched all the action, ate a bottle and even took a little nap. What good, sweet boys I have.
**That other sign Dav has says "Team Shan". Thanks for making me signs Ian. :)
After a colossally long break the meet got started back up and I swam the 100 freestyle. It was a pretty fun race. I didn't know my time when I registered, so I just put 1:28. I actually swam it in 1:20. Go me. If you click on the picture to make it big you can see my name and my time, place and lane. Their computer system was pretty cool.
My last event was the 100 back. I was pretty tired by then, but it still went well. I came in on 1:30. I actually liked this race because I was in lane 1 closest to the deck, so I could see my team standing on the side cheering for me. It definitely gave me a boost and helped me pick up the pace at the end.

So my first Master's meet was a great experience. I was glad that the universe aligned for me yesterday so that I could buy a new suit that fit better than my other ones and goggles that weren't broken. I had fun chatting with my friends and cheering them on. I also had fun sitting with my family during downtimes. I am so glad that they came. After the meet we went to lunch at (where else?) McDonalds. Weston is finally brave/strong enough to climb all through the playplace, so it's a lot more fun for him. I am feeling a little sick from eating a big mac right after swimming. Probably not the best choice. Oh well.

I am really happy about finding this swim team class and getting to participate so much. I especially appreciate Ian for being so supportive of me and my swimming. He gets up with the kids when I go to class in the mornings and was excited about the meet too. I am planning on doing 3 more meets this year.

You know the phrase "runner's high"? Well, I loathe running, so that never happens for me, but there is a theory that I learned about in one of my rec therapy classes called Flow. Read on if you are interested in why recreation can be so absorbing.

With Flow the psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi names the feeling of complete and energized focus in an activity, with a high level of enjoyment and fulfillment. As Csikszentmihalyi sees it, the components of a Flow producing activity are:

  • We are up to the activity.
  • We are able to concentrate on the activity.
  • The activity has clear goals.
  • The activity has direct feedback.
  • We feel that we control the activity.
  • Our worries and concerns disappear.
  • Our subjective experience of time is altered.

Not all of these components need to be present together for Flow to be experienced.

I definitely experienced some flow today. I love that feeling of being so involved in what you are doing and feeling challenged, but capable enough that you lose all sense of time.

What activities give you a sense of FLOW?

12 comments:

Hilary said...

That is so cool that you're into swimming like that . . . I don't think it'd even crossed my mind to get involved in something organized like that with the little kiddos, but now I'm uber-jeolous! Congrats!

joyous said...

Wohoo!!! Congratulations on some great swims today!!! I'm so proud of you signing up and doing the meet. Way to go sister!! And you have an awesome supportive husband to help you make it happen. How fun! Maybe you'll inspire Weston to be a super swimmer this next summer. Hahaha, we'll see.

Emilee said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I can't even swim, let alone competitively. That's great that your family got to see what you've been doing all these early mornings.

Erica said...

Ohhhh! It looks so fun! I'm sad I wasn't there with you. Your times were awesome. See you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I so wish I could be there to cheer you on!! You did a great job out there!! I was also hoping that Ian and the boys would be there to cheer you on. That's the best :-) I'm going to call you and hear all about it.

P.S. Dad just downloaded Skype for our new computer. I'll bring home the camera from school and put on the computer here and we'll be up and going:-)

Jared and Delia said...

Yay Shannon. That is so wonderful that you do that and that your family is so supportive.

Jenny said...

good for you for doing something for you! i think that is so great.

Liz Hine said...

ROCK ON SHANNON! (see you on Friday!)

Tasha said...

GO SHANNON!!!! I am glad it was such a good experienc and go Ian and the boys for coming to cheer you on!! I am glad you were able to do that and hopefully there will be more meets to come :)

Glen & Kat said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a ton of fun, and I'm way impressed with your times. And the boys were such cute little fans.

heather said...

that is AWESOME! good for you for keeping up with swimming! very inspiring.

Shewi128 said...

Wow.. I can't believe you compete in meets! You're definitely not the typical young mom. :)

As far as "flow" goes.. I have no idea!