Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Grandma Nan

When I was little, like 3ish, my mom was the Relief Society president in our ward. She had three little ones and was super busy (as usual). There was a single sister in the ward who offered to babysit us when my mom needed to be gone during the day. Apparently the first time Mom dropped us girls off at Grandma Nan's house my sister, Joy, asked what we should call her. Mom told us we could call her Grandma Nan.  And that's who she became!

I remember lots of things about playing at Grandma Nan's house. Especially her perfume tray in the bathroom, playing board games, singing for her at Christmas, and the awesome Grandma Nan slippers she knit us almost every year.  They had big yarn pom poms on the toes and were slick on the bottom. We used to "ice skate" around our house on the hard floors all the time.  One year Grandma Nan painted the bottoms of our slippers with a tread paint. We were bummed we couldn't skate in those ones.

Grandma Nan has since moved to Northern California, but we still send Christmas cards and stay in touch through emails and Facebook.  A couple of weeks ago I got a call from Grandma Nan and she was in town for a family wedding. I told her we definitely needed to get together, so she came over for Sunday dinner that weekend. Mel and Brad came too and we had a nice time catching up with Grandma Nan and introducing her to the kids. She commented that she never thought she'd have "great grandkids." :) I'm so glad that we got to see her and I hope she calls again the next time she is nearby!

1 comment:

Kyle and Jillian said...

I remember Grandma Nan! I never really knew the story behind how she became "Grandma" Nan and I think we only really saw her at your house, but I do remember I liked her and thought she was great. I'm glad I know the background now. :)