Over the last 6 months we (meaning Ian) have been slowly tearing down the old fence that was already falling down when we moved into this house. This weekend we are finally building the new one! It is going to be a weekend long project, starting tonight. Tonight they dug the holes for the posts, which was a big job since apparently boulders count as soil filler in our yard. Alann and a couple of Ian's young men, Elliott and Oliver, helped out.

This is the digging beast, I mean the hydraulic auger. It is invincible against dirt, not so much against large rocks.

The scene in our side yard. It's kinda dark since this was taken at 9:30pm. They had only been at it for 3 hours!

This picture makes it look like a wimpy little hole, but these holes are about 18 inches in diameter and are about 4-5 feet deep.

. . .did I mention the presence of several mini boulders in each hole? This is why, even with a digging beast, it took 4 hours to dig 8 post holes.

More to come in the next few days. Also, Ian's parents and Aly are coming into town tomorrow evening, but the bulk of the work should be done by then.
6 comments:
Doesn't it always seem that home projects are easier to accomplish in thought than in action. There have been numerous projects that took longer than expected. Good luck and hope it looks great!
Oh man i feel for you. I have one side of fence that needs to be replaced. My neighbor isn't really wanting to pay for a new one so i would be stuck with the bill. Instead Taryn and I bought 30 fast growing evergreens to build a natural fence. it will take a while but for now it was a lot cheaper. Good luck with this project I don't envy you.
Keep up the good work!!! I can't wait to see the finished product. :)
Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Ian. . . . Happy Birthday to You!! You sure know how to celebrate :-) I'll bring presents in August and we'll do it again then. . .without the post hole digging, O.K?
Love, Grandma B and Grandpa Bob!!
WOw!! Way to go Ian on putting the fense up. I am totally impressed. I am glad he was able to rally some help too.
Just a slight correction... the holes were only 2ft deep... they felt 4-5ft deep, which also sounds much more impressive... but 2ft was all we were shooting for.
Post a Comment