Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Playing Catch Up

We have been pretty busy around here as most of you know. This is kind of a long post . . . WARNING . . . but full of all the fun things our cute little family has been up to. We had a wonderful visit with Ian's parents and sister last week. After Jim had to head back to work in Portland, Denny and Aly stayed another few days before driving home. We had a blast. We went to the mall to let the boys play and expend some pent up energy (well, mostly just Weston had that need). Here they are at the dino playground. Weston loves to hold Davin these days and really Davin seems to like his brother's attention. It's adorable.
One of the rare moments of us out and about without me behind the camera.
Weston's first carousel ride. It made me nauseous, but Weston loved it and didn't want to get off.
Grandma Denny took this picture of our sweet elfin baby. What a grin, huh?
Weston playing blocks in his room. He is superman every day now. He even sleeps in his cape. Then when he wakes up he says "Superman needs his boots." What a dork. :)
Grandma Denny with her grandkids.
I liked this one of Grandma and Davin.
Ooh big milestone while the Bowles' were visiting . . . Davin started reaching for stuff! He really started going for the toys on his toy bay on the bouncer. It is hard for me to realize that at almost 4 and a half months old we are going to have to bust out the high chair soon and he is learning so many new skills!
"Good morning to you, good morning to you, we're all in our places with bright smiling faces and this is the way we start our new day!"
Playing ladder ball at our neighbors' house during their Pioneer Day party (it's a much much bigger deal here than anywhere else in the world but a good excuse for a party and fireworks). Weston couldn't get enough of playing with the big boys.
Happy 24th of July! Weston loved getting to do sparklers and poppers again so soon. Amazingly enough he lasted until 10:30pm in a fairly decent mood.Father and son. They are a handsome pair.
Today we met up with Dawnie and Mason for lunch at the park. Dawnie is loaning me her bumbo for the next several months (THANKS AGAIN!) and Davin loves it already. After we got home from the park I put Dav in the bumbo to watch the end of Sesame Street with Weston and Weston was jealous of Dav's new chair, so he had to sit in his chair too. My little couch potatoes. ;)
Weston and Mason playing at the park.
This is the first 2 minutes of Davin trying out the bumbo at the park. He was so pleased to be sitting up like a big boy. Plus he loves to watch Dawnie talk. She is very pretty, he has good taste. :)
I am so grateful for my wonderful boys. We really do have fun together and like each other.
We had a bit of a rough time this morning. Weston threw a massive tantrum and I really didn't know what to do. I ended up letting him scream it out in his room, giving us both some time to calm down. While he was in there I tried to figure out my next move and came up blank. My go to solution failed (calling my sister to see what she does with her kids) and so I had to go it on my own. I think it turned out ok. I just hope some of our discussion post tantrum about choices and consequences/apologizing and forgiveness will stick. If anyone has any other parenting of a 2 year old advice, please let me know. I would love to have some tricks up my sleeve for when he won't listen/obey and can't be reasoned with. It has been fun catching up on your blogs. I'm not even halfway done yet though, so be patient with me. OK, back to catching up on So You Think You Can Dance. Don't tell me who got kicked off last week . . . I'm getting there!

14 comments:

Tara said...

Your sweet elfin baby and couch potatoes had me cracking up. We totally need to get together. I am babysitting Justin's sister's boys next week and Just will be at scout camp so maybe (please) you could come over and hang out?? We could find out the joys of putting 6 kids under the age of 2 together! haha, maybe that's a bad idea. But call me and we'll think of something!

Jackie H said...

Here are my two bits: Oh tantrums! Claire lies down on the floor and screams. When she was younger we'd make a point of stepping over her and going upstairs or downstairs (the opposite of where she is), and closing the gate. Since she can't get to us for an audience, she stops pretty quickly.

We also learned that we'd always say "Listen to me!" when she wasn't following directions, but one day she said, "I AM listening." We realized that it needed to be followed with "Obey." So now we say, "Listen and obey" and she gets all thrilled and says, "I obeyed!" whenever she actually stops the offensive action. Of course it took a lot of explaining what obey means.

We also tell her that she can cry in her room if she'd like to, and we'll take her in there mid-tantrum and close the door. The last two times she's thrown a fit she's actually hiked herself upstairs all by herself (screaming all the while)and cried it out alone! Yeah! When she's done she says, "Somebody please ask me to come down." Funny kids!

The Curnow Family said...

I'm so glad you're back!! I've missed pictures of the big boys! I think Weston looks so grown up next to tiny elfish Davin! ha just kiddding it's really cute. you got monkeys and elfs! Fun!! Love you! I'm excited your back!

joyous said...

You're little elf baby is quite the cutie. He really is getting to be so big...time flies!

I just have such a hard time saying no to dress up at that age because it really ends oh so quickly. Don't worry, he probably won't wear the cape and boots to high school. ;)

Good luck with the tantrums. I did deep breaths with Lizzie and that really worked well for awhile. Miriam is just started to make me crazy with them. Mostly I just put them on their bed and let them cry it out. (I still have to do that with Lizzie on occasion.)

I'm glad you had fun with Denny and Ali. It sounds like a great week!

monique said...

Glad you're back, oh I can't wait to meet your little guys they are just too cute!

Kim said...

HOW FUN! Your boys are so cute. I love that Weston is so into his cape!

Sherrie said...

I have not had a child who threw tantrums but I have a cousin who did. Her mom put her into a bath tub of cold water. I heard it worked great (I thought it was borderline abusive).

During a parenting class, the presenter said she was in Penneys with her grandson when he threw a tantrum. She threw herself down on the floor next to him and acted just like him. He sat up, looked at her, and said, "Grandma, you are acting like a baby." She said he never threw a tantrum around her again. (Another extreme, borderline insane reaction.)

I think that what you did was the best. Just give him time out. Tell him he can come out of his bedroom when he can act like a young man instead of a screaming meamie.

I hope this helps.

Love,

Sherrie

Glen & Kat said...

I'm glad you're back. I missed your updates. I love knowing all about your life even though I can't be there :( I'm not sure if we're traveling any more this year since we went to Oregon this summer. We'll have to think of something. Have so much fun at the Breaking Dawn party! I can't wait for it to come out.

Tasha said...

Okay, I think I just LOVED seeing all the pictures. I don't know why, but I love posts with lots of pictures. I think myfavorite is of Weston and Davin watching TV. SO CUTE!! Especially the way Davin is sitting in his boppy.

Kat and Steve said...

Weston must really love that cape, huh? So funny. Cute pictures, looks like you've been having a great time!

heather said...

LOVE the picture of the boys sitting next to each other on the couch! Too cute.

heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynsey said...

Nice to see your kids loving each other. I hope me kids will always be close... P.S. I am not looking forward to when Zach can throw a tantrum, he just seems so sweet and perfect right now. Good luck

Plewe Fam said...

Those boots and cape are incredible. You've got to love the life of boys!